Orval ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin_B

Resident Village Philosopher
Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone recommend a good Orval clone recipe -- anyone have experience making it?

I'm actually planning an Orval clone to brew in a few weeks. Another brewer gave me a bottle of his clone and it was incredibly close, his recipe follows:

3kg Pale Malt
1kg Vienna Malt
100g Caramunich
500g Sugar

60g Hallertauer Mittelfruh @ 60 mins
30g Styrian goldings @ 15 mins
30g Styrian goldings @ 0 mins
60g Styrian goldings dry hop for final 7 days

WLP510 Bastogne Ale for 2 weeks then add WLP650 and leave for 4 weeks

Mash at 65° aim for OG of 1.057 and 37 IBU

I'm actually planning an Orval clone to brew in a few weeks. Another brewer gave me a bottle of his clone and it was incredibly close, his recipe follows:

3kg Pale Malt
1kg Vienna Malt
100g Caramunich
500g Sugar

Keep us posted on this please Steve.

Thank you -- very interesting. Do you add the 500g sugar together with the second yeast after 2 weeks?

3kg Pale Malt
1kg Vienna Malt
100g Caramunich
500g Sugar

Thank you -- very interesting. Do you add the 500g sugar together with the second yeast after 2 weeks?

No add the sugar towards the end of the boil. It helps lighten the body and give the characteristic dry finish.

The second yeast is a brettanomyces strain which is able to ferment sugars that most sacc strains can't. It's this wild yeast which gives Orval it's very distinctive flavour, without it all you have is a standard Belgian pale ale.

The second yeast is a brettanomyces strain which is able to ferment sugars that most sacc strains can't. It's this wild yeast which gives Orval it's very distinctive flavour, without it all you have is a standard Belgian pale ale.

Interesting. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back