Over dry hopped beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeedsteve

Reaction score
So.... I had a brew day with a friend of mine the other week and I left him with 21 litres of fermenting beer and 14g of ekaunot hops to dry hop it a week later. The hops are about 11.5% AA
Now my friend isn’t too experienced in brewing and, according to his wife, struggles to listen. This has led to him dry hopping with whatever was left in the bag, somewhere in the region of 150g, rather than the 14g in the tub.
The result is a beer that is very hoppy in flavour and a bit more than we hoped for.
It’s now primed and in a pressure barrel and I’m hoping it will mellow out a bit.

Is it all lost or is there some way back for beer??

Sounds great!! It will mellow out a bit over time. You should test it frequently and report back. I regularly dry hop with 100g plus ..some more than double this amount.

My experience of dry hopping (but only up to 100g) is that the effect wears off after about 4 months, so I suggest you just leave it to mellow out if its not immediately to your taste, but sample it from time to time to see how it's progressing

I dry hop my IPA with 40g Amarillo + 20g citra = 60g total - and that's for a 10-11L batch. It tastes great.

So 100g in a 21L batch? Nothing to worry about IMHO.

I’ll let it mature in that case.
I have tried it and it is a bit over the top, will report back as it improves, hopefully

Have also brewed a back up brew with cascade and motueka just in case.

Latest posts

Back