Over hopped?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobstrolz

Reaction score
I've just brewed a beer using an experimental recipe and on tasting after putting it in the FV it tastes a tad bitter.
Recipe was;
2kg pale Maris Otter
300g Carapils
1.1L Coopers Amber LME
40g Goldings (1 hour boil)
25g Citra & 5g Goldings (in for 10 minutes after the boil)
Whitelabs Burton Ale yeast.
Will this bitterness mellow out after fermentation and conditioning or is there something I can do to remedy it now?
Thanks.

Will this bitterness mellow out after fermentation and conditioning or is there something I can do to remedy it now?
Thanks.

Should do. The longer you leave it to condition the the more the flavours blend and mellow out. You might also want to leave it in the FV a bit longer than you usually do too. This will also give the yeast time to clean itself up and give a bit more 'cleaner' tasting beer

Whats the Alpha Acid on the your hops and was this a 23L brew? Plugging your reciepe into brewmate and using the AA it has for those hops (so probably around average for Goldings and Citra) your IBU comes out at 34.5 which isn't that bitter , so I wouldn't worry about too much about them mellowing out.

Still only comes out at 40IBU at 20L. I've never done an extract brew, did you need to dilute in the FV as I vaguely seem to recall this is part of the process? As this will lower the IBUs

Too me 40 IBU is just right however over time the hops will mellow out. I have found the Citra aroma/flavor does not last for too long so will drop out first. If you age the beer the hops will mellow out however you can run into other problems with oxidation or worse an infection if sanitization wasn't perfect.

If you know what you gravity was prior to diluting I can do the calcualtions (using brewmate again) for what the IBUs with be. I may be able to still do them if you can give me the OG

Dilution effecting IBU is something I've recently learned about (thanks to Rodwha), it's something you need to now about if like me you do Maxi-BIAB. Been doing Maxi -BIAB for about a year now and I even didn't realize it was something I had to take into account :doh:

OG prior to dilution was 1.045. Thanks for this advice btw. I'm new to this game and I've got a lot to learn.

OG prior to dilution was 1.045. Thanks for this advice btw. I'm new to this game and I've got a lot to learn.

If I did the calculations correctly it'll will come out at 36IBU which is not too hoppy at all. So taking into account we don't know your AA of your hops and some feck up with my calculations (as I'm new to hop utilization adjusted for dilution) I reckon were talking anything from 35-40IBU

Ok. Thanks again. I'll reply to this post when it's ready to drink, let you know how it's turned out.

Latest posts

Back