Overpitching yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are links to a number of yeast companies in a sticky at the top of this sub-forum, they have pdfs for each of the strains you would be likely to use if you do go for a packet not included in your kit. I'd trust that information above pretty much any other source...

Beyond that I'm certainly less qualified to answer you question than aleman but what he says basically tallies with what I was reading in Yeast (by Chris White of Whitelabs) on the way to work this morning. White reckons that you lose about half of the yeast cells from a dried pack if you pitch direct to wort instead of re-hydrating. You should also gradually cool the hydrated yeast to within 8 degrees celsius of the wort before pitching to avoid temperature shock. You can do this by adding small quantities of wort to the hydrated yeast. The only other thing to add is that (according to White) while neither is desirable, basically you are better off overpitching than underpitching especially if you aren't going to try and keep your yeast going over several generations.

Wow! We're learning lots about pitching yeast this week :thumb: :whistle:

I too have been utterly confused by conflicting information on what is "best practise". So from what I have gleaned here:

1. If you're going to use dry yeast, use a named brand and rehydrate it before pitching in boiled water, cooled to the appropriate temperature for that yeast.

2. If you are pitching liquid yeast, for a 23l sized vial/pack you need to make up a 5 litre starter, 5 days in a advance. Pour off the "wort" and pitch the yeast slurry.

Is that right?

EDIT: I just found this artic le that may be of interest:
http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm

That FAQ looks useful as a quick reference.

The yeast book is an interesting read and I'm certainly glad I got it for Christmas. It isn't as technical as it could be, but realistically it is a bit fair more than the average homebrewer needs to know IMO.

tbh I don't think you generally need anything beyond the advice given by the yeast supplier in their documentation and FAQs. There is lots of good advice to be had on various brewing forums but do consider your source, for example I have only been brewing AG for a bit more than a year and am even less experienced in the use of liquid yeasts :D

I've certainly learned a lot about yeast this week! thank you very much for your responses.

I appear to be having similar conversations in two threads, so i'll end this one and post more in the other thread 'Yeast Properties'

Cheers

Latest posts

Back