Coopers 500ml PET Beer bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thoughts on these please.
After 20+ days I opened my first bottle and liquor flat.
I've tried half a dozen more, & flat.
Tops did feel 'slack' tbh.
I'm not sure I tightened the caps after filling.
So perhaps my error but it was only the second brew the bottles had taken. First brew, pressure fine.

I hadn't used them before the first brew.
After time ( how long?) should they be binned?
How many times, approx, can they be re- used?
New caps after X times?

Thanks folks

It sounds like you have made an @r5e of it and forgot to tighten the caps. Haha don't dae it again.
As for how many times you can use them then i don't have a clue but i have used my brown 750ml coopers bottles at least 20 times and have no intention to stop using them any time soon.

I have the reverse issue. The PET bottles (used many times) give perfect carbonation. But the same brew in glass bottles explodes like a volcano. Same sugar measure, everything. Any ideas anybody?

The bottles have that "security seal" ring around the base of the cap that detaches the first time you open a bottle. This adds quite a bit of resistance the first time you screw the cap on - which we're not used to doing because for soft drinks etc it's done in the factory. This adds a fair bit of resistance if you're not used to it and could easily be mistaken for it being tightened

I have removed some of mine , when I remember, but as long as the 'new' cap isn't new and have its own ring it won't make any difference.

As above I have about 60 Cooper's bottles in rotation and used them tens of times.

I also recently bought non branded PET bottles (100) and have used them a fair few times and apart from them not looking as good ( no long neck) they perform just as well ( at least in my usage ). And are cheaper

Thanks Agent
I'd noticed that 'ring'.
Some caps have retained that after the first use.

Should I remove it after the first use?

Thanks

Matt
The ring doesn't make any difference for you. It's there to prove to want potential customer that the bottle hasn't been opened since it was sealed up - to prevent tampering with etc. I just leave mine on.

I also reuse soft drinks bottles that my stepson brings back from college

I've a set of PET bottles that I've used since 2017.

My lessons learned are.

1. When bottling, always do a final wipe and check cap with a towel.
2. They don't like dish washers. The Bottoms pop out.
3. Easier to use than crown bottles if you don't have a bench capper.
4. Now I have a bench capper, ideal to verify carbonation during 1st 2 weeks
5. Lighter to carry if going to a party

I have had a couple that leaked, but just replaced the tops.

I always use a few 500ml PET bottles for each brew so I can check the progress of carbonation.

@Matt you could add more sugar to each bottle and re-seal, beer is resilient so it shouldn't affect the taste but will have slightly more ABV, I'm guessing .25%.

Looks like the caps were not fully tight. Use a set of these to give them a final tweak when tightening. You'll likely need them to loosen too. The onlt issue I have with these bottles is that some of them fail and leak from the bottom. I can have a half empty bottle with beer in my plastic crate yet when i open the bottle to pour away the rest it still has plenty of fizz.

Attachments

• 16919204985405015272839426373799.jpg
    16919204985405015272839426373799.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
some of them fail and leak from the bottom. I can have a half empty bottle with beer in my plastic crate yet when i open the bottle to pour away the rest it still has plenty of fizz.

I've had a couple of these. Was the end of the box in the byre and couldn't see how they leaked.

I have had that, but i think i know why it happens,
i think its because it is a bottle that has been dropped, and has micro damaged the plastic and when carbonated the pressure forces a tiny jet of beer out .

Thanks folks.
Really appreciate all the comments.

Yes, it looks like I failed to tighten the caps.
I'm only in 1% doubt about not having primed.
Put it down to experience and I'll be double checking from now on.
And as suggested, a check after a week or so.

Cheers chaps.

Latest posts

Back