Parkinson's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tonight's topic on 5 live phone in, i was not aware that you can get it Parkinson's when you are young i also didn't know you can get it but not have the shakes.

One bloke phoned in to say he doesn't have the shakes but struggles with doors he finds his legs lock up when he goes through a doorway meaning he cannot move forward, he went on to say people are usually very helpful in fact the other day he tried to get off the train and a nice man saw him struggling and put him back on it :D

Last edited:
Fortunately medication can allow you to have a fairly normal life - "It even meant a return to my favourite sport, cycling"

Phil Hockey who’s lived with Parkinson’s for 6 years said:

"I’m delighted that NICE has approved foslevodopa-foscarbidopa (Produodopa) as I’ve seen the benefit of the therapy.

"When my oral medication stopped being as effective and my ‘off’ periods were a significant part of my day, I signed up for a clinical trial of the drug.

"I was surprised at how effective it was at controlling my symptoms. Having the pump working 24 hours a day is a key benefit and it gave me back a degree of control in the management of my symptoms when I was on the trial. It even meant a return to my favourite sport, cycling!

"I’m happy that people with Parkinson’s may also be able to receive the benefits from this new therapy and, I’m hoping this is the start of future developments that will help as many people with the condition as possible."

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/new-treatment-parkinsons-approved-nice-national-institute-health-and-care-excellence#:~:text=They have recently approved foslevodopa,the medication from a syringe.

Tonight's topic on 5 live phone in, i was not aware that you can get it Parkinson's when you are young i also didn't know you can get it but not have the shakes.

One bloke phoned in to say he doesn't have the shakes but struggles with doors he finds his legs lock up when he goes through a doorway meaning he cannot move forward, he went on to say people are usually very helpful in fact the other day he tried to get off the train and a nice man saw him struggling and put him back on it :D
one of the key onset symptoms that primary care physicians have to look out for is essential tremor. which is no shakes at rest but potential issues when intentionally making movements like opening a door or signing your name. foot drop or locking of the legs is also an early sing. these are important cause with early intervention it can prevent progression. unfortunately parkinson almost always progresses. the guy having trouble with doors will likely start to have shakes at rest eventually.

meds slow progression down and also enable a normal life.

parkinson dimentia can happen without any tremor at all.

from google:

Myth 3: Everyone with Parkinson's disease has tremors.

Fact: It's easy to connect tremor to Parkinson's disease because it's a prominent and recognizable symptom. But some people with Parkinson's never have a tremor, and even those who do may not have it at the start of the condition.

unfortunatley from anecdotal evidence these patients never have a normal life span.

Back