pectose and glycerine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybon92

Reaction score
I am going to journey into WOW's very soon and I have just a few questions. I know what pectose is but when would I add it, before fermentation or after?

Also I've had a look at what glycerine and what I understand it's a alcohol-sugar soulution that's sweet. What is the purpose of this, is it to sweeten the brew?

You add the pectolace and glycerine at the beginning, glycerin adds mouth feel to your wine.

Thankyou for the quick reply!

Another tiny quick one ( it may sound stupid)
If it's 50% juice add two cartons, is that because the flavour would be too weak ?

Not stupid at all, if you have 2 cartons of 100% juice (2 litres in total) in a DJ your wine will taste great, with the 50% cartons you need to double up to make 100% juice so 2 x 50% juice cartons and 1 x 100% juice carton of either Red Grape Juice or White Gape Juice.

Okay I get it now I just waned to make sure of everything ! Thanks chippy you've been a great help!

Does that rule count if I was to maybe add other juices like rasberry or cherry or what ever, I know a lot if them are not 100% would I double up or its just the grape that needs to be 100%?

I'm just waitig for an answer I probably already know but having a daft moment haha

Until recently the choice of 100% juices was fairly limited, apple, orange, white grape juice, red grape juice etc, so 1 x WGJ and 2 x cartons of 50% (or less) juice (pomegranate, cranberry, raspberry etc) was the way to go, as WGJ got harder to find i switched to red grape juice and now prefer it, a litre of the ASDA bottled RGJ (similar to the ones below) and a litre of apple juice make a great tasting wine.
A recent post here brought my attention to the RGJ, strawberry and kiwi juice below, i have used two of these in a DJ and am looking forward to tasting the results, next i will try a litre of the grape, raspberry and pomegranate (below) with a litre of RGJ as the grape, raspberry and pomegranate is not 100% juice.

Ingredients
Red Grape Juice not from Concentrate (70%) , Strawberry Purée (20%) , Kiwi Purée (10%) .

Ingredients
White Grape Juice not from Concentrate (39%) , Water , Red Grape Juice not from Concentrate (15%) , Pomegranate Juice not from Concentrate (10%) , Raspberry Purée (5.0%) , Vitamin C .

a888888.png

That sounds lovely! I might have to have a look at that juice ! I was going to use rasberry and pomegranate ( separate juices) and I was thinking about a strawberry kewi and maybe a bit of lemon and lime but if Asda do these juices then that's great ! I think I'd adventure down to get some!

All WOW has either rgj or wgj which gives it body, it's not compulsory but you should try it and compare the two.

Yeah that's what I have decided to do because the grapes would give that slight wine taste ! I'm also interested in low alcohol versions maybe ale yeast n make a 5%round about fruity juice ( poof juice as I call it)

That should work shouldn't it?

Latest posts

Back