Pelforth Brun & Leffe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhead

Reaction score
My two favourite beverages are Pelforth Brun & Leffe. I am a newish AG,er and would like to enquire if anyone have a "clone" or "similar to" recipes that they would share. I know they would not be the most simple to brew. But feel ready to step up.
Approx. reproducing them would be great boost.
Have BS2 if it can be referanced.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks I have the book. Just didnt finish reading it yet!
Will you create a BM2 file the brew?
If you do, would you be prepared to share it.

I've been chasing a Pelforth recipe for years, I've had a couple of brews but not there yet... :hmm: had a go at a recipe that's nearly there it just needs more work.

After finding this in Southern France a few months ago I would dearly like to obtain the Brune recipe. If you would PM it would be appriciated.

caerleon said:
After finding this in Southern France a few months ago I would dearly like to obtain the Brune recipe. If you would PM it would be appriciated.
Hi after many years of searching I think that I have at last got close to cloning Pelforth Brune. I racked it yesterday and it tasted pretty close. When it is ready to drink in about six weeks I will invite some friends around for a blind tasting and post the results here.

IPA said:
caerleon said:
Hi after many years of searching I think that I have at last got close to cloning Pelforth Brune. I racked it yesterday and it tasted pretty close. When it is ready to drink in about six weeks I will invite some friends around for a blind tasting and post the results here.

Well done :clap: :clap: fingers crossed for you, I did a mini brew about 3 weeks ago, had a sip on Sunday and it's ok but it ain't Pelforth..more like a brown malty ale but I 've got a licorice after taste that Pelforth don't have. If possible can you let me have a copy of your recipe to see how it looks against mine?? :pray:

I think that I have cracked it! Yesterday I bottled the Pelforth and rather than wait six weeks for it to condition I reversed the process. Last night I opened a bottle of the real thing and put it in a tasting glass and left it to go flat overnight. This morning I compared it with a sample in the same sort of glass that I had saved when bottling. This morning I tasted the two and my taste buds could not detect any difference! If anyone is interested I can post the recipe here.

I'd love to see that recipe too. One of my favourite tipples.

Really appreciate that. Do you do a single mash or a stepped mash? :cheers: Also what yeast do you use? So many questions!

Hi Hobbins
I use a stepped mash mainly because I use a Braumeister and it makes it so simple. I am sure that a straight forward 90min 66° mash would give the same results bearing in mind the ingredients. I used Safale SO4 because I didn't want to introduce too many variables but next time I am going to use a liquid yeast probably a Belgian. As I said please let me have your opinion it would be much appreciated.
IPA

Thanks again for all info. I've got plans for my next brew but I may try this one first. I BIAB, although I've never done a stepped mash before it would seem BIAB lends itself to this technique so I'll give it a go. I may try a Belgian yeast also. I'll keep you updated.

caerleon said:
IPA thanks - Can you post the mash schedule used? I too am a Braumeister convert.

Hi caerleon
Sorry for the delay I have been in England for a couple of days.
This is the mash schedule I always use for ALE

52° mash in
52° 10 min
66° 60 min
73° 30 min
78° 15 min
IPA

Latest posts

Back