Pension protest.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
French workers have kicked off because they raised pension age by two years to 64, when they raised it by two years to 67 here what did we do, we moaned about it in the brew room. :rolleyes:

They said in the article there were hundreds of thousands out protesting and most were peaceful but a small minority caused damage.

Always admired the French for that. One of my favourite photos was taken when wheel clamps were introduced in Paris. It showed a Frenchman, Gaulois hanging out the corner of his mouth, casually angle-grinding one off.

When I was still working in the UK/European HQ of a US multi-national I had many French colleagues based here and to a man/woman they slagged off the various presidents for not getting tough on a variety of policies. Of course, the staff at the French subsidiary got the usual local benefits, it's the law after all. I still remember when visiting the corridor with all the union offices (4 at least), there was always a spare office available for (nosy) visitors.
But I always enjoy the French culture, from art, fashion, style to food of course. I still remember waiting for a bus outside a Paris station at about 6am and guys guzzling their red wines at a small cafe, many years ago.

I hope they win, the French have the right idea. Over here we are so apathetic "What can we do?" Which is why the various PMs have done what they whished. The last time we had any real national action was over the poll tax!

But that was back in the day we used 4star petrol, might have had something to do with it.

I hope they win, the French have the right idea. Over here we are so apathetic "What can we do?" Which is why the various PMs have done what they whished. The last time we had any real national action was over the poll tax!

But that was back in the day we used 4star petrol, might have had something to do with it.
I hope they don't. Why should they be able to retire at 64 when the rest of and most of Europe has to wait until 66 or 67? What's so special about the Frenchies? Big cry babies throwing their toys out of the pram at the slightest provocation. There's plenty for us to moan and demonstrate and riot about, but it's obvious that if we live longer we've either got to work a bit longer or make our own provisions for early retirement.

Like joining an order of home-brewing hermits and shutting out the wider world in order to better contemplate all things beery without distraction.

I think part of the issue is the way Macron copied the Boris Johnson playbook and forced the legislation through using arcane procedure after losing a vote in the house.

Viva le France, yep he knew he would lose in a vote so through the back door it was, i love the French and the place itself been many many times, i remember De Gaulle vetoing us from joining the common market twice what a guy, then soft a--e Heath taking us in with no vote but that's another story

Viva le France, yep he knew he would lose in a vote so through the back door it was, i love the French and the place itself been many many times, i remember De Gaulle vetoing us from joining the common market twice what a guy, then soft a--e Heath taking us in with no vote but that's another story
well you must be happy now ...

Seems to be the way in France, some of the issues there are hard to compare as they have different ways of doing things some of which I love such as the wine and food. A very large land mass in comparison to the UK A French friend of mine who now lives and works in the UK has told me how different things are where she is from in the rural area close to Marseille.
I have to say that through choice I was able retired early from my job working on the railways using my savings I had planned things out and how my money would last until my old aged pension kicked in, then between my leaving and my pension kicking in the government decided to extend the working age to 66 so I was not best pleased but there was sod all I could do about it.
So It was better life style choice for me to retire I would say the earlier the better and good luck to them

Why should they lose out because we are too spineless to stand up to our government and say no?
Well just ask yourself where the money comes from. It might help put the question in perspective.
There are a million and one things that we're too spineless to stand up to our government about, but this is a really stupid one unless you want your kids and grandkids to be paying taxes and NIC through the nose to pay for your long retirement that they won't see when they get old. It's like pyramid selling.

Well just ask yourself where the money comes from. It might help put the question in perspective.
There are a million and one things that we're too spineless to stand up to our government about, but this is a really stupid one unless you want your kids and grandkids to be paying taxes and NIC through the nose to pay for your long retirement that they won't see when they get old. It's like pyramid selling.
from the magic money tree clapa clapa

Well just ask yourself where the money comes from.

1680112802919.png

In f
Seems to be the way in France, some of the issues there are hard to compare as they have different ways of doing things some of which I love such as the wine and food. A very large land mass in comparison to the UK A French friend of mine who now lives and works in the UK has told me how different things are where she is from in the rural area close to Marseille.
I have to say that through choice I was able retired early from my job working on the railways using my savings I had planned things out and how my money would last until my old aged pension kicked in, then between my leaving and my pension kicking in the government decided to extend the working age to 66 so I was not best pleased but there was sod all I could do about it.
So It was better life style choice for me to retire I would say the earlier the better and good luck to them
In fairness, pensions work differently here. In the UK, I was able to take my teacher's pension earlier than the state pension age and then just pootle along until the OAP kicked in. I imagine you could do the same on the railway. In France, the professional component and the age component are not separated in the same way and you can't draw one of them earlier than the other.
Of course, that doesn't apply to most UK workers, who don't get a "works pension" anyway. While most French workers, if I understand correctly, do get some sort of complément to the basic pension.
Eventually. On the whole, the French are infinitely better off in all sorts of social benefits.

Latest posts

Back