Pet hates and food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing bits of old food left in a plughole in the sink, or around the sink after someone has washed up. Oh look, a bit of fried egg from last week!🤢

A petty pet hate, the "Hunter's Chicken" you get in pub chains, which is a dry chicken breast, barbecue sauce, cheese and bacon on top. On paper it sounds ok, in practice it's always a terrible weird mish mash of flavours. Cacciatore and Chasseur (with lots of fresh Tarragon).. much better.

When someone eats off the spoon while making a sauce and reuses the spoon.
Inside of a family, that's great if that's what they do. Outside of family? Not for me.
I see this horrific practice perpetuated on TV.

I lived with a Russian sheila for three years, My mother had never introduced us to garlic, I could not stand the stuff! Roll mops I could put up with, I didn't have to eat them. She was a raven haired beauty, almond eyes, hour glass figure, wall to wall sex, but every night we would have an argument about the inclusion of garlic in every meal. She used to eat garlic sandwiches FFS! Came to a head the night she promised me a nice roast dinner, even had Yorkshire puddings. Dinner served, I had a sniff, no garlic. Poured on my gravy, the garlic was in the gravy! Moral of the story I now love garlic and eat it all the time, if only my mother had introduced me to garlic.
I used to eat garlic sandwiches. Sliced up clove or two, olive oil, salt and pepper - loved it and never had a cold (probably because no-one would get near me 🙂)

Last edited:
When someone eats off the spoon while making a sauce and reuses the spoon.
Inside of a family, that's great if that's what they do. Outside of family? Not for me.
I see this horrific practice perpetuated on TV.
I used to go to a pub / restaurant, where all the chefs wore a teaspoon on a chain around their necks. When I eventually asked why they did so, I was told that those were the only spoons they were allowed to taste the food they were making with, but because the chains were not long enough to reach into the pans, it had to first be decanted into these spoons from a stirring spoon or spatula.

it had to first be decanted into these spoons from a stirring spoon or spatula.
A clever, potentially fool-proof method to keep the cooks following code. You can teach a person all the rules on a job but will they be obeyed?
Disposable gloves seem like a solid plan until the person making the sandwiches wears the same gloves to hand out change to the customer and then goes back to sandwich making without switching gloves.

I'll tell you one thing that really crossed the line for me: I was at a Chipotles (I checked and I see you have them there too). It's good fast food more or less. Anyway, this man had a pretty huge beard and he's working the serving line right over all the food WITHOUT a beard guard. I don't know about anyone else, but beard hair seems far worse than head hair. I was utterly grossed out.

Buying a spouse recipe books, vacuum cleaner, new mop is always a good idea.
Funnily enough, I bought my wife a new hoover as a silver anniversary present. It was silver, and bought as a joke. She was delighted with it!
I think she secretly preferred the matching silver pendant and earrings that I gave her later...

Funnily enough, I bought my wife a new hoover as a silver anniversary present. It was silver, and bought as a joke. She was delighted with it!
I think she secretly preferred the matching silver pendant and earrings that I gave her later..
It all depends. Technically, I wrote that one post as a joke (which my wife pointed out that I shouldn't have after I told her about it). Couples are so, so different. I actually find vacuuming, lawnmowing, leaf raking and sweeping quite relaxing and satisfying.
If I were to get a spouse a broom because I was trying to hint that she doesn't sweep enough....

Not food... but I've come across it so much lately, when someone is selling something and something is broken... "it just needs this" and "it just needs that".. well, 🤬 do it then before you sell it if it's an easy job.

Latest posts

Back