PID Temperature Controllers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Via PM barryham said:
Ive been looking up a lot of info about temperature control and PID's . What I have found is that most of them have SSR relays, but some have only got the temperature controller wired straight into the plug with 2 outlets, 1 hot 1 cold, a seperate temperature probe and no SSR relay. Could you help me clear this up?

Dealing with the last one first. These controllers (like the ATC800, ATC800+, TC10), are really for the control of fridges/Freezers and low powered heating devices, although the ATC 800+ can control up to 3KW on the heating circuit (IIRC). They are really only digital thermostats, you set the temperature and how much you will permit it to vary . . . and they then switch the required device (cooling / heating) on as required . . . There is no PID Control, it is a simple ON OFF switch and as such is ideal for controlling fermentation temperature.

PID Controllers (PID stands for Proportional Integral Differential), are more than a simple thermostat, they contain a microprocessor which determines the difference (Differential) between the current value and the Set value . . . Integrates (Integral) this with the heating devices known heating characteristics . . . and applies an output pulse which is Proportional to the difference and the amount of heat required. . . so that the temperature reaches the set value and stays there. Generally the output is a simple low DC Voltage of a few milliamps (10V 40mA), although it can be a relay . . . but this is often only capable of handling around 3A . . . ideal for a small Aquarium heater but little else, plus the rapid switching of the PID would rapidly wear out a mechanical relay. . . hence the reason a Solid State Relay is used. SSR's are capable of switching huge currents, and are ideal for the 3KW elements we generally use in brewing (With appropriate heat sinking). These are the ones you'll see in use in HLT controllers, and HERMS/RIMS controllers, where an accurate temperature control is required.

It is important to choose the correct device for the application you have in mind . . . And also the correct temperature sensor . . . for our work the best sensor is a PT100 probe.

Hope this helps

thanks - any suggestions as to which ones are appropriate for homebrewing application?

What PIDs are people using in HERMS / RIMS ?

I have the makings of a RIMS system that has a probe and a 3KW heating element, but is missing the PID to finish it off. Not sure exactly what I need though.. :wha:

Cheers
Paul

Yes me too :thumb: I would like to know what I need to make a herms? I've got my pumps sorted vessel for the herms and an element, I just need to know what pid and ssr I need. I would also while I'm at it set one up to control the temp on my HLT.

Cheers

AG

For My HERMS/RIMS Kit I use this 1/32 DIN PID Controller with this 25A SSR and this PT 100 Temperature Probe

For the HLT I Used this1/16 PID Controller with another 25A SSR and a PT100 temperature probe. . . . I also used a plug in timer to switch the HLT on so that it was up to temperature when I was ready to brew.

Other PIDS and SSR's are available on eBay, particularly from China (Virtual village has a 20% off promo code for THBF members), but I have no idea how to wire those up, if they are relay or PID output, or have suitable temperature sensor input for our applications.

I have found this guy very good have had around 8 off them so far Clicky The thermocouple that comes free is **** so buy a decent Pt100 probe

And ssr's Clicky I always have 25amp for single or 40 amp ones for double elements, Don't forget to make a heat sink or buy some for them. They get hot!

muddydisco said:
I have found this guy very good have had around 8 off them so far Clicky The thermocouple that comes free is **** so buy a decent Pt100 probe

This clicky doesn't seem to lead anywhere on ebay, do you know if it has been re listed?

Back