Plastic Barrel Suitable For Boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone posted them in the "eBay forum' in the members area.

Some people on here do use them as boilers I believe.

Take a trip to your local Indian and ask for their old mango chutney barrels, they should give them to you FOC. That is what is in the eBay link you gave. You will just have to get the smell out of them but there is plenty of advice on here how to do that :thumb:

So they are suitable? That's good to know, but should I try and blag some free ones rather than paying £30 for three shipped?

Might be a bit big for me tbh, I dont have the space hence why I do biab and if I take up any more space in the shed/kitchen/living room/cellar swmbo will kill me! :(

Have a read of this

The blue barrels go soft when boiling, but some are happy to use them, others not. I'm in the not camp but it is entirely up to you to decide :thumb:

If you do want to go down that route I would get some free ones (or at least try to) :thumb:

Thanks, think I might give them a miss then and keep saving up for a stainless set up. :D

joey1002 said:
That would be my choice, particularly where hot sticky liquid is involved :thumb:

Stainless and hot sticky liquid? ... Gigidy.

I have one built with 2 kettle elements and a ball valve and have held a 60min boil and had no problem.
They don't go soft, and i have full confidence that it's safe.

Stainless is deffinately the best but at a price, and as mine was free stainless is 100% more expensive :lol:

joey1002 said:
Have a read of this

The blue barrels go soft when boiling, but some are happy to use them, others not. I'm in the not camp but it is entirely up to you to decide
My boiler is made from a 60l blue food barrel and has been perfectly fine for well over a year now. They don't go particularly soft at all when boiling and I certainly am not going to go poking and prodding it to test the limits of this property!
I'm more than happy with the build quality of it (from what I recall they are able to withstand temperatures up to 120°C).

My first boilers were hdpe barrels and they work ok but keeping them clean can be a pain as they get starched so I would use them as a hlt but buy a s steel boiler as a hop boiler

Latest posts

Back