Poor year for elderberries?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenhowBrewer

Reaction score
I’ve been picking blackberries for a few weeks now, popping them in the freezer ready for a blackberry wine. I have seen a few recommendations for adding a few handfuls of elderberries to a blackberry wine as it adds a bit of depth, apparently.
I'm out walking the dogs every day, so cover quite a few miles of country lanes etc.

Has anyone else found that - in this bumper year for blackberries, plums, damsons, apples etc. - the elderberry crop seems very, very sparse Indeed?

I made elderflower wine earlier in the year, and so I know there was plenty of elderflower about, and I was careful to leave plenty as well, just taking two or three heads per tree.
The few bunches of elderberries I have managed to find are not very well populated, and many trees don't seem to have any fruit at all. Quite a few elders also appear to have yellowy leaves.

is this just local to me, or has anyone else experienced this?

Probably not as fulsome as some years round here (North Yorks) - but difficult to tell locally as the farmers have all trimmed the hedges this year. Having tasted a few, they're not quite ready yet anyway

Back