Possible brewing issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobjack

Reaction score
Hi all,

On Friday I brewed up my first Belgian Dubbel Ale from extract.

I pitched 3 liquid yeast sachets of White Labs 530 in the evening - Its now Sunday and there is nothing, I haven't seen one bubble come out yet. I'm concerned, should I be? Every other beer I've made started within a day.

If I do have to re-pitch, do I just re-pitch the original amount?

Thanks all

Hi all,

On Friday I brewed up my first Belgian Dubbel Ale from extract.

I pitched 3 liquid yeast sachets of White Labs 530 in the evening - Its now Sunday and there is nothing, I haven't seen one bubble come out yet. I'm concerned, should I be? Every other beer I've made started within a day.

If I do have to re-pitch, do I just re-pitch the original amount?

Thanks all

Did you take a gravity reading just before you pitched the yeast, if so leave it a day and then take another, if you didn't take a reading then as soon as you can take one, then take a reading a day for a couple of days to see if it is fermenting on the quite, if it is not fermenting then consider re-pitching some more yeast but if you can as its a big brew make a starter the day before and pitch that in

Did you take a gravity reading just before you pitched the yeast, if so leave it a day and then take another, if you didn't take a reading then as soon as you can take one, then take a reading a day for a couple of days to see if it is fermenting on the quite, if it is not fermenting then consider re-pitching some more yeast but if you can as its a big brew make a starter the day before and pitch that in

Thanks for your help!

Okay, so it's alright to open the fermentor then? I was always told to leave well alone! :)

Why 3 sachets? Were they in date? Did you make a starter.

Yep, all in date. Although two ran out in November so I assume they might not have been as fresh as they could be.

The recipe called for it, either that or make a starter.

Thanks for your help!

Okay, so it's alright to open the fermentor then? I was always told to leave well alone! :)
It is best to leave the wort/beer alone but if it is fermenting it will have a blanket of CO2 over it to help protect it, if it's not you have to do something to get it going but try to do the bare minimum with the lid off
When you pitched your yeast they were close to the use by date so it might be that the fermentation is very slow as your yeast number were probably low, they might be doing there thing but it could take time for them to multiply into enough numbers before you notice any real action, not seeing fermentation is not a indication of no fermentation, the only way to be sure is to take gravity readings, if the gravity is falling it's fermenting if not it's stuck and you need to repitch some yeast

Thanks for your help!

It depends on what kind of FV you have if its white plastic some of them you can see the shadow of the brew level and krausen above it if not a little peek to make sure its fermenting won't hurt the brew at all,chill people worry far too much about their brews.it really is quite hard to infect your brew by lifting the FV lid

Good news!

It started sometime yesterday evening, bubbling away like a beast. Thanks for all the advice and re-assurance guys! Will let you all know how it turns out :)

I have one Fv that does not show any signs of fermenting, it all escapes out of the lid.
My other Fv is tight as a nuns ass

Back