Possible infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just looked at a batch of lager I have on and there is a sort of grey dust on the top, any insight. It still smells vaguely Ok..
sune3yge.jpg

Thanks, Ant

Doesnt look great - do you have a secondary vessel? if so, rack it into there from the bottom and leave behind a few litres. might save it...

I do, Could it be because I (cleverly) pitched a wine yeast instead of ale/lager.?

I'll transfer it tomorrow, it needed more time to clear anyway. I'll let you know.if it tastes okay too.

Antony said:
I do, Could it be because I (cleverly) pitched a wine yeast instead of ale/lager.?

I'll transfer it tomorrow, it needed more time to clear anyway. I'll let you know.if it tastes okay too.

Wine yeast :shock: :doh:

This will dry out the beer a lot..

Alas, I've tried exactly that, but the infection has returned. I think I'll try and rack it once more, but first skimming off the crud, syphoning around 10l from the bottom, hoping its uninfected. I might add some sugar to form a protective layer of CO2 over the top to opefully stop mould growth (which it looks to be)

Back