Pre Sanitising kegs/bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
How do all you guys sanitise your kegs and bottles.

Time is a precious commodity these days, so can bottles and kegs be cleaned and then stored with a little sanitiser inside, so on the day of packaging it’s just a case of a quick swish around and drain the keg/bottles ?

Time is a precious commodity these days, so can bottles and kegs be cleaned and then stored with a little sanitiser inside, so on the day of packaging it’s just a case of a quick swish around and drain the keg/bottles ?
Yes but I normally drain rinse and give a spray of fresh but that's my preference. Good practice if you bottle to rinse after pouring. Quick squirt of sanitiser then some clingfilm and that's it sorted.

No kegs yet, I've been cleaning my bottles and placing them on their side in sealed boxes to exclude dust. On bottling day I soak them in sanitiser for a few minutes. No issues so far.

I clean bottles, dishwasher them on sanitise setting, put them in crates, cling film the top of the bottles. Store until needed. When needed, remove clingflim, sanitise the inside of bottles with Starsan solution. Good to go then...

Basically I’m trying to streamline my bottling day. Working odd hours can be a bit of a challenge. So if I can get the bottles/kegs clean and sanitised before hand that would be great. Isn’t cling film a bit of a faff, having to cut and seal each bottle? Not that I’ve tried it and I don’t own a dishwasher 😀

Bottom line yes, but some with ocd will disagree
I wash bottles straight after use, a quick rinse then dry and stored with some kitchen roll ready to refill.
Never had an issue

I store corny kegs with a bit of starsan in. I bought some of these to do the same with bottles, but don't bother with them these days as I switch between 500ml and 330ml depending on what I've brewed.

Attachments

• beer-bottle-reseals-pack-of-25-875-420x420.jpg
    beer-bottle-reseals-pack-of-25-875-420x420.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 61
Basically I’m trying to streamline my bottling day. Working odd hours can be a bit of a challenge. So if I can get the bottles/kegs clean and sanitised before hand that would be great. Isn’t cling film a bit of a faff, having to cut and seal each bottle? Not that I’ve tried it and I don’t own a dishwasher 😀
Nope. I don't do faffing and wasting time with anything, especially while bottling. I just lay a sheet of film over the top of the bottles in a crate. Film sticks to top of bottles. Run sharp knife along and across gap between bottles. Run hand down bottles. Takes literally a minute to cover 20 bottles.
No dishwasher, just sanitise first, allow to dry then cover. Dishwasher generates heat which also helps the drying process.
Failing that clean and sanitise bottles before bottling.... Takes a lot more time on the day though.
Above process works great for me, again personal preferences aren't everyone's ideal.

I can tell you that you can't store bleach solution in plugged demijohns to keep them clean. When the bleach breaks down it's game on. I've had grim slugs of mold floating in demijohns that looks like dead rats. I doesn't happen with star san or washing up liquid. Bleach is amazing on the day but when it breaks down it's useless.

I swill the bottles a few times, put a cm or two of metabisulphate solution in them, the seal with a plastic stopper. I give it a shake and leave it until needed.
when I’m bottling, I just empty the metabisulphate out, swill it twice and let it drain.

same with my KK and FVs - I keep some metabisulphate in them when not in use, swill them out when needed.

Latest posts

Back