Preparing for brewery interview

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
This is a request specifically for those of you who have worked or work in the industry:

I have been offered an interview to start as an apprentice brewer at a local craft brewery. What sort of questions should I ask them to get the most of the interview? And what sort of questions do you think they might ask that is specific to going for a job in a brewery?

Following up on what Stevieboy said, I wouldn't expect much in the way of technical questions about brewing as the expectation would be that you learn that as part of the apprenticeship. If they do ask any technical questions and you don't know the answer than a good answer would be something like: 'I don't know, but I'm really hoping to learn it as part of the apprenticeship'. That is a far better response than fumbling out an incorrect answer, it shows you accept you don't know and are prepared to ask for help.

When I'm interviewing for junior roles like this I focus on whether the person would be a good fit for the team in terms or personality and has a clear willingness to learn and progress. I may ask a couple of generic skill-based questions just to get a rough feel for their technical capabilities but they would be something I'd expect anyone with an interest in brewing (or in my case engineering) to know rather than something very detailed.

In terms of questions that you should ask; I'd focus on things like opportunities to experience different parts of the business, career progression, etc. Essentially, they will be making an investment in you so they want to know that you are keen to stay in the business at the end of your apprenticeship.

Following up on what Stevieboy said, I wouldn't expect much in the way of technical questions about brewing as the expectation would be that you learn that as part of the apprenticeship. If they do ask any technical questions and you don't know the answer than a good answer would be something like: 'I don't know, but I'm really hoping to learn it as part of the apprenticeship'. That is a far better response than fumbling out an incorrect answer, it shows you accept you don't know and are prepared to ask for help.

When I'm interviewing for junior roles like this I focus on whether the person would be a good fit for the team in terms or personality and has a clear willingness to learn and progress. I may ask a couple of generic skill-based questions just to get a rough feel for their technical capabilities but they would be something I'd expect anyone with an interest in brewing (or in my case engineering) to know rather than something very detailed.

In terms of questions that you should ask; I'd focus on things like opportunities to experience different parts of the business, career progression, etc. Essentially, they will be making an investment in you so they want to know that you are keen to stay in the business at the end of your apprenticeship.
Thanks! Yes, I like their styles (traditional casks) so I see no reason to leave. I commit unless there's good reason (and I've put up with some awful employers for the work!) so just need to make sure that energy comes across.

I'm somewhat fretting about the fact that I don't actually remember what their beers are like, however I don't believe they really sell beyond their door and one pub, so I'm hoping they'll be forgiving. I'm pretty sure I've had one of them before they rebranded, but that was even before COVID. I'm hoping the fact that I only moved to Bristol a year before COVID lockdown, and their beers are difficult to source (they also happened to be rebranding, upgrading and moving premises just as COVID struck!) means they'll give me a little slack on my inexperience with their brand.

Thanks! Yes, I like their styles (traditional casks) so I see no reason to leave. I commit unless there's good reason (and I've put up with some awful employers for the work!) so just need to make sure that energy comes across.

I'm somewhat fretting about the fact that I don't actually remember what their beers are like, however I don't believe they really sell beyond their door and one pub, so I'm hoping they'll be forgiving. I'm pretty sure I've had one of them before they rebranded, but that was even before COVID. I'm hoping the fact that I only moved to Bristol a year before COVID lockdown, and their beers are difficult to source (they also happened to be rebranding, upgrading and moving premises just as COVID struck!) means they'll give me a little slack on my inexperience with their brand.
If you can; I'd track down one of their beers before the interview to taste it. I'd also research their brand online as much as you can; try and find out what typical styles they brew, what their brand ethics are, what their history is, etc.

It's always good to show that you understand a bit about the company as it demonstrates that you are genuinely interested.

If you can; I'd track down one of their beers before the interview to taste it. I'd also research their brand online as much as you can; try and find out what typical styles they brew, what their brand ethics are, what their history is, etc.

It's always good to show that you understand a bit about the company as it demonstrates that you are genuinely interested.
Unfortunately I won't have time to source any beers (god knows I've tried, I'd have to go to the brewery itself which is only open to sales on certain days), due to work shifts until the interview, but I know I have had them in the past. I'll just have to make sure I only say what I know, don't bs but also not try and make myself look like I don't care-I do.

Basically, between finding the position online and being offered an interview, only a week has passed. Finding their beers has just not been possible, it's not like I've had plenty of time and I've just been lazy, promise!

However, I've found plenty on their history and what they're about, their COVID struggles and so forth. Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately I won't have time to source any beers (god knows I've tried, I'd have to go to the brewery itself which is only open to sales on certain days), due to work shifts until the interview, but I know I have had them in the past. I'll just have to make sure I only say what I know, don't bs but also not try and make myself look like I don't care-I do.

Basically, between finding the position online and being offered an interview, only a week has passed. Finding their beers has just not been possible, it's not like I've had plenty of time and I've just been lazy, promise!

However, I've found plenty on their history and what they're about, their COVID struggles and so forth. Fingers crossed!
Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Best of luck with it!

+1 to all the advice above. My tuppence, look clean and smart, arrive a few minutes early, take their lead on whether to shake hands or not as some people still don't, and be enthusiastic about their company. Do not arrive late. Good luck, I'm sure you will smash it.

+1 to all the advice above. My tuppence, look clean and smart, arrive a few minutes early, take their lead on whether to shake hands or not as some people still don't, and be enthusiastic about their company. Do not arrive late. Good luck, I'm sure you will smash it.
I'm a punctual person, I hate being late, much rather an hour early than ten minutes late. The bus will get me there with plenty of time!

Thank you.

In addition to what others have mentioned, ask about:
  1. what training to expect during your apprenticeship.
  2. their plans and ambitions for the business.
Prepare a list of points that you would like to mention that show your interest in brewing and your appetite for hard physical work. Good luck!

In addition to what others have mentioned, ask about:
  1. what training to expect during your apprenticeship.
  2. their plans and ambitions for the business.
Prepare a list of points that you would like to mention that show your interest in brewing and your appetite for hard physical work. Good luck!
Thanks, well, I've previously worked in forestry and timber framing so hard work and long days are doable if it's for a good reason! I will do that list over breakfast actually...

Latest posts

Back