Problems making candi sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickpick

Reaction score
I add the granulated sugar and water to the pan. Add the small amount of lemon juice and boil sugar for 20 mins between 127-135C. Towards the 20 minute point the sugar changes and because less fluid which a grainy appearance to the bubbles. This time I did it I only go to about 18 minutes when it starts to crystalise. At this point I went for 150C for the hard crack.

Before I even get there it's going more and more like a slush. And by the time i'm transferring it to the cool container it doesn't really pour anymore and is just like a full blown slush and powdery (it's not burnt at all though).

I've done it twice now with the same results.

I have no clue how people get it to 40mins for dark candi because mine wouldn't make it that far.

Any ideas?

OI3w4Kq.jpg

i think you are heating it too hot , i think it's around 130c you want to keep it but can't remember exact temp . you add a little water every time before it gets too hot . when i did it i didn't use lemon juice either . btw too hot will make toffy , maybe that's what's happening here.

Hi Mickpick, I used this guide posted by luckyeddie and it was a breeze to make it mate :D I just copied the post including pics into a word document and printed it out on paper and kept it on the kitchen bench when making my Candy Syrup.

Candy Syrup/Sugar making guide
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16473

Some people say the Syrup is the way to go as it stays in liquid form and is easier to store and add to your brews, I would reccomend the syrup.

Cheers DC :thumb:

ive made it a few times and my recipe always adds DAP, di ammonium phosphate- a yeast nutrient, really seems to work well as a syrup also seems to work nicely in my hoppy and strong IPAs

pittsy said:
i think you are heating it too hot , i think it's around 130c you want to keep it but can't remember exact temp . you add a little water every time before it gets too hot . when i did it i didn't use lemon juice either . btw too hot will make toffy , maybe that's what's happening here.

Sounds like you could be right. It never went about 135C but my thermometer could be wrong, so i'll try again lower.

Back