Problems with Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
It seems to happen to us newbies but I decided to buy the top of the range Keg from Ballyhoo Followed all the instructions on how to use it.I then filled up with the beer and priming sugar and left it to do what its meant to do. after a couple of days I looked at the pressure and it said 5 PSI then it went to 4.5 psi and now it has gone to Zero I tied a co2 gas But that has made no difference so what has gone wrong. I was informed that it was pressure tested before it went out and it was OK Please Help as I have 42 Pints in there at the moment.This is the keg I have got https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/registe...2-injection-valve-pressure-indicator-p-4.html update took the cap off the beer is flat looks dead as a dodo is that because I put Co2 gas in when the persure said zero and should I add more sugar if so how much to get it started again for 42 pints?

Did you use Vaseline or similar to lubricate the o rings before use as that tends to be the culprit on most kegs though I've never used one like yours before as for the sugar if completely flat I would use the same amount again that you originally used

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Did you read the review in your link?

I now have two of these barrels and I've got to say they are good. The addition of the S30 valve and the schraeder valve in the cap is a useful addition, the schraeder especially useful for monitoring the state of secondary fermentation. You can see the pressure rise as the yeast does its work. However they are not without their problems.The tap is fitted by tightening a nut inside the barrel, this effectively grips the barrel between the nut and the tap. Because of the location of the nut I found it difficult to tighten sufficiently to get a good seal even with a good smear of petroleum jelly. Also I had a pressure leak around the S30 valve. The washer is quite thin and doesn't really seem up to the job, perhaps the hole was a little too large. (I thought initially the valve was faulty and letting go). Both problems were only apparent after secondary fermentation had begun. I've now made (thicker) washers for the tap and the valve from a silicone baking tray bought from a 99p shop, both problems are solved and I now have very reliable barrels. I have a tip. If you purchase one of these barrels clean in the usual way 24hrs before you add your brew. Dump one or two 8gr CO2 cartridges in the barrel and check that the resultant pressure remains stable. Vent before filling using the schraeder valve. When you remove the cap the remaining CO2 will stay in the barrel as it's heavier than air. After you've siphoned in your brew you will have a CO2 rich gas filling the headroom rather than a volume of nasty air. A shame that a minor glitch has prevented a 5 star rating.

Yeh But they said the fixed it :-( here are some photos The last one shows the beer in the KEG

20170207_184138.jpg

20170207_184305.jpg

20170207_184312.jpg

Put cap on with all usual precautions, vaseline etc etc.
Inject a CO2 bulb (assuming you can do this).
Go round everything with soapy water.
You should then find the leak.

Yippee Got it sorted it was the Tap it was my fault I put the rubber seal on the inside of the Keg when it should of been on the outside of the Keg (Silly Boy) :cheers::wha::doh: Thanks for all the advice Hopefully I will not keep on bothering you to much. I am learning Fast :whistle::grin:

Back