Prosecco from wine kit, what to miss out.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemorton

Reaction score
I have brewed a 1 gallon white wine kit with a view to make it into a sort of prosecco. I intend to bottle it in swing top bottles with a little champagne yeast and a teaspoon of sugar per bottle.
With the kit, should I be missing out both/one of the following steps please, or still doing themboth?
Adding potassium metabisulphate, stirring than adding kieselsol.
then
Adding potassium sorbate, then chitosan.

Many thanks for any answers.

I'm enjoying the proceeds of doing exactly this a year ago, made three gallons from three different California Connoisseur white wine kits and turned them into sparkly. Can't tell the difference between them.

Skip the potassiums and you can use the kieselsol / chitosan if you want. If you're using the CC kits [which contain exactly those ingredients] then there's no need to add extra yeast, the stuff that comes with is good enough for the job even after settling and fining.

I don't use the finings either, just leave it in the demijohn for a month and it clears out anyway. If you can do it leave it as long as possible in the bottle, the stuff I make takes about 8 months to turn from paint stripper into damn near commercial quality wine.

Comes out dry as a great big dry thing - the French call it 'Brut Nature" or somesuch, keep a bottle of Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Elderflower Cordial handy is my advice.

Cheers for the answers. It does seem to be clearing well by itself, so might just leave it to do its thing. Its been on a month now, so well on its way, and it is indeed a california connoisseur, a pinot grigio. 8 months though, dont know if I can manage that, I will have to hide them somewhere from myself.

my home made stuff from apple juice failed to prime in the bottles as I left it to clear too long. i guess all the yeast had died.. the other batch I had on the go got left to clear about half way then added to the batch that failed to prime.. mixed it all up and then reprimed all 8 litres of it and bottled. It's primed now for sure! had to release some pressure yesterday as tops on pet bottles were bulging like crazy.

So in my little experience, don't let it clear too much or there will be no yeast to turn the priming sugar to co2.

I used pectolase at the start but nothing after that.. no finings, no stabiliser, no campden.

Back