Protafloc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
H&G don't have any Whirlfloc tablets in so they are sending me some Protafloc (granuals?) instead - is it just a case of mix with some water and add 15 mins from the end of the boil? :?

H&G don't have any Whirlfloc tablets in so they are sending me some Protafloc (granuals?) instead - is it just a case of mix with some water and add 15 mins from the end of the boil?

Mix well in advance Wez, they swell like buggery :D Can't remember if the granules are 15 or 10 min from the end...go with 15 to be sure ;)

(may edit this in a bit, I have the date sheet somewhere)

I use that Wez, just chuck in a spoon at 10-15 mins, no biggie i don't even mix with water first and it works a treat ;)

Found my data sheet covering all types of Protafloc...at long last.
The reason for rehydrating before use is that some homebrewers find they don't totally dissolve in the boil leading to viscous deposits on their IC's.

Here's the techy bit

The product should be added directly to the kettle towards the end of the wort boil. As it is a semi-refined grade of carrageenan, it requires a period of boiling during which to disperse. The product should be added 15 minutes from the end of the boil; it is not sufficient to make the addition then allow the kettle to stand. Equally, adding the product any earlier in the boil will cause excessive degradation of the carrageenan and reduced fining performance

GUIDELINES FOR USE
DO
• Check that the product is within its shelf life before use
• Ensure that the product is dispersed into the wort and does not stick to the walls of the kettle or be drawn up the stack with the steam
• Carry out optimisation trials to determine the correct rate of use
DO NOT
• Open the kettle to make the addition unless the boil temporarily has been turned off
• Add the product significantly earlier or later than the recommended time

If you want more details pm me ;)

this stuff is fantastic.

i used it for the first time on my group brew yesterday.

what settled on the hops can only be described as cloudy, gewy snot! :lol:

the downside was i didn't get a decent hop bed and so the **** got carried into the fermenter :(

i had floating globs of gunk in the fertmenter yesterday but when i looked this morning, they appeared to have sunk :party:

Sounds like a load of chemical gunk to me. Whats wrong with irish moss?

I'm presuming this protofloc is there to encourage proteins to floculate? My beer is crystal clear without it. Irish moss sems to work just fine.

I'm not even tempted to use it-even if i can just throw it in...

i decided to give it a try as my rauchbier and the wasp stinger both threw a haze.

will be interested in seeing how the hedgehog bitter turns out :)

Do you cold condition your beers BS? If not then you should. I have my cornies put in a cold store-lucky for me my friend has a cold store. I have to fight my way through the venison though. :lol: But my beers get stored at 0C for 3 weeks or more and they are crystal clear. Clearer than commercial beers i find. :cool:

i haven't got the means to "chill" my kegs. only leaving them in below room temperature areas so i'm seeing if i can pull it off by other means.

of the brews i have in the bottle, they throw a nasty haze at 12'c or under (not that i should have them much under that anyway)

they throw a nasty haze at 12'c or under (not that i should have them much under that anyway)

Sounds like you've got a chill haze there BS. It's caused primarily by proteins in the beer. It can be gotten rid of by chilling the beer to near zero for a while before racking/bottling, or by using polyclar as a fining.

Back