Protein break in the fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31bb3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been thinking don't laugh :? I will be the proud owner of a shiny plate chiller the weekend so my thinking is transfer straight out of boiler via chiller into fv obviously the protein will be transferred with it so can I just put fv in fermenting cupboard for 24 hours to settle out the break material then rack into clean fv and pitch yeast ? If I make sure the wort is well aerated it shoud be ok unfortunately I don't have a conical fermenter lol :cheers:

can you not fix it to pump from the boiler through a hop strainer or muslin filter of some kind ?

I've just managed to get a hop filter fitted and before lots of proteins and break material got into my FV. Its not that easy to strain out, and a lot of it wouldn't settle and floated freely about in the brew.

Your hop strainer is going to catch hot-break stuff.

Cold break stuff will end up in the FV. I've been trying to find info about how quickly the cold break stuff coagulates to see if filtering straight from a chiller would be an option but I haven't found anything yet...

I've just read an article re removing cold trub from your brew and it advocates leaving the cooled wort 8-12 hours in the boiler before draining off to the fermenter. Not sure I'd like to leave mine that long before getting the yeast to work.
Can someone try it and let me know if it works... :D

i thought i read somewhere that it needs 30 mins standing still which does the job then chill it , maybe i'm wrong .

It makes perfect sense.

There is a formula for sedimentation which involves size of particle, relative density, gravity and some other clever stuff...

As the proteins are altered by the cooling process they must become less soluble, over time they will coagulate and form bigger particles which I guess, settle out better...

...also there will be a "slowest" particle which takes the most time to settle... maybe that particle size takes around 8 hours...?

This really has me thinking that the "no-chill cube" is a great option in the winter at least. Bung your wort in, chuck it outside overnight, bring it in in the morning and rack off the break, leave it to warm up and pitch later in the day...

fingers cross i will be doing tomahawk ipa then i can use my 60 plate chiller from malt miller for first time :D :D :grin:

Back