Quick pale al

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swift Pint

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to turn around a quick pale ale, hopefully ready to drink in about 2 weeks.
I was going to do an extract recipe, with a small amount of crystal, aiming for about 4%.
Probably about 30-35 IBUs.

I've got a packet of S-04 and a packet of Wilkos Gervin Ale yeast. Not sure which is likely to ferment out and settle quicker.

I'll be force carbonating in the keg.

Is this realistic?

Any tips?

How are you going to dispense bottle or corni?

If it is a corni and force carbonate it then yes. I can usually get a beer from grain to bottle in 2 weeks though warm weather may hinder clearing without chilling. However if you want to serve from a bottle then you need another 2 weeks minimum and at that it wouldn't be at its best IMHO.

:thumb: :thumb:

cheers greys, yeah, I'll be force carb-ing and serving from the corny. I've got a fridge to crash cool it to aid with clearing. :thumb:

I wish, was hoping to get home a bit early to get started.... Only just about to leave the office. Ah well, late night brew night ahoy.
Swearing & cursing when something breaks at midnight here we come!!
:evil:

graysalchemy said:
How are you going to dispense bottle or corni?

If it is a corni and force carbonate it then yes. I can usually get a beer from grain to bottle in 2 weeks though warm weather may hinder clearing without chilling. However if you want to serve from a bottle then you need another 2 weeks minimum and at that it wouldn't be at its best IMHO.

:thumb: :thumb:

What about corny to clear, chill and force carbonate then bottle from the corny, it would be just as drinkable as if it were being served from the corny would it not?

You could always fine as well as cool to clear down asap.

So it could go...3/4 days ferment, 2-3 days diacetyl rest, auxillary fining & chill 48 hours, isinglass and chill 48 hours, serve and/or bottle. That's 11 days, so another 3 days maturing would see you grain to glass in 2 weeks. :thumb:

It all depends on the yeast, I've no idea how Gervin & S-04 act for fermentation times, flocculation and diaceytl.

Let us know how it goes and tastes :cheers:

If you have the ability to bottle from a corny ie a Blickmann beer gun then yes but you would struggle without one. :thumb: :thumb:

I have had beer filled from a corny into a bottle (not using a gun) and it ended up with zero fizz after a few days. :nono: :nono:

Never tried to bottle from keg. the Beerguns look neat but are pretty expensive.
I'd be a bit worried about it going flat, like you say Greys.

I decided to go with the Gervin yeast, mostly because I've not used it before, so thought I'd see how it goes.
Just chilling the wort now. Hopefully will be done and tidied in 30 mins, a tad optimistic perhaps ... :whistle:

Finished!

I brewed something based loosely on a Mad Goose clone, but had to switch out some of the specialty grains and hops...
Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.8 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------         
0.03 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC)                    
0.03 kg               Munich Malt (25.0 EBC)                     
1.40 kg               Light Dry Extract (7.0 EBC)         
20.00 g               Northern Brewer [8.50 %] -  Boil 60.0 min            
20.00 g               Fuggles [4.50 %] -               Boil 15.0 min             
15.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] -              Boil 15.0 min         
7.50 g                Cascade [5.50 %] -              Boil 5.0 min             
10.00 g               Fuggles [4.50 %] -               Aroma Steep     
6.00 g                Cascade [5.50 %] -              Aroma Steep      
1.0 pkg               Gervin   Yeast                  

Created with BeerSmith 2 - [url]http://www.beersmith.com[/url]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filled three demijohns, sat in a waterbath, temperature being logged here

Just found out that wilkos gervin is the same yeast as Nottingham.
I've not used Notty, but have read some good things about it & seems well suited for a quick ferment and then settling out well.

:thumb:

I was recently thinking about trying to find out how fast I could get from grain to glass.

Was thinking about the possibility of racking the beer to the corny while it was still fermenting. Lets say 3/4 done (haven't worked out an exact gravity). Then finishing the fermentation under pressure as well as dry hopping at the same time. That way when the fermentation is completed the beer will already be fizzy and part dry hopped. Then crash cool and drink.

Anyone ever tried anything like this?

Interesting concept, I wonder if there'd be some impact on the yeast being under pressure?

I think you can turn out a witbier pretty quick in less than a week if you are kegging. Not tried it myself though.

Are you guys trying to mimick Heineken, Carlsberg or others? 14 days from grain to glass. Just like SABMiller with their Tyskie **** lager.

:D

I wonder if there'd be some impact on the yeast being under pressure?

Well we secondary ferment under pressure so I can't see why it should be a problem. I read a while back that you can do something similar with bottles by waiting until you have the correct gravity for bottle conditioning then bottle the beer up without the need for priming sugar.

Are you guys trying to mimick Heineken, Carlsberg or others? 14 days from grain to glass. Just like SABMiller with their Tyskie **** lager

I reckon with the right recipe you could make something pretty decent in a week maybe even a bit less. I'm thinking something not to bitter with a load of late hops and dry hops, possibly a hop tea as well. I think it might be hard to get a clear beer but that doesn't bother me much as I kind of like a bit of haze

Why, whats wrong with a bit of patience :wha: :wha:

If you like green hazy beer then go ahead but you will not benefit from its full potential.

Another example of how some of us are condition by the multi conglomerate commercial sh*te brewers :twisted: :twisted:

Yup. If you want quick, do pittsy's awesome Hefeweizen. It's grain to drinking inside the month and it is truly amazing.

Get plenty of that on the go while you leave other stuff to happen slowly.

A bit of forward planning is all that's required.

graysalchemy said:
Why, whats wrong with a bit of patience :wha: :wha:

If you like green hazy beer then go ahead but you will not benefit from its full potential.

Another example of how some of us are condition by the multi conglomerate commercial sh*te brewers :twisted: :twisted:
Absolutely nothing wrong with that :thumb:

haha. my original need for a quick turn around is due to up coming social event and bad planning.
Usually I'd give things plenty of time.

The one week turn around I mentioned was something I'd heard about for Blanche De Namur, which certainly I'd say isnt a mass-produced-quick-turn-around-to-maximise-profit style affair, rather its just that the style of beer it is is more suited to a quick turn around. (?) - Although a week does seem pretty damn quick (might well have misheard on this one)

Anyway, my ale is seems to be coming along well, with a decent high krausen at just shy of 24 hrs since pitching.
So I'm on track for having something drinkable in a couple of weeks time
:thumb:

Wheat beers are quick, both of Belgian and German style. The quickest of other types was 1.036 mild but still it required over 3 wks to turn out good.

Back