Racking port

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Hi
I started a port on 18/09/14
Racked on 24/10/14
Reading now at 0.996
It is currently under airlock
I was going to rack again tomorrow and stop fermentation with wine stopper and a campden tablet.
My aim then is to add red grape concentrate from wilko to sweeten it up.
Two questions please
1 does above sound sensible or should I just leave it on lees for longer.
2 if I do above can I add oak chips at this stage or is it too late

Cheers
Bud.

Question 1. I would agree with all the above.
Question 2. I have no idea, hopefully some one with more knowledge will be along soon, I cant see it doing any harm if you are happy to leave it in the demi for a bit longer to give it time for the flavor to come through.

Cheers snake. From what I have tried to gleen I think I will get hold of some chips and chuck them in. I'm in no hurry as suspect I will be leaving this a few years before getting stuck in. Maybe a 3 to 6 month oak period now would work but like you say, maybe someone with a bit more experience than us will come along. Thanks for the reassurance.

Oak chips start to break down eventually, so 3 months would be better than 6. Use large (1 cm2) chips, not the 'sawdust' stuff, at 30 g per gallon The main benefit of an oak barrel is the slow breathing which also reduces the water content, reducing the volume but increasing the percentage of alcohol.

Nice one Tony. Thank you. I will get some of the larger chips. Didn't fancy the idea of the sawdust stuff. I can only get whiskey barrel oak chips locally but seen French medium oak online. Any recommendations as to type of oak for port. And just to double check. It is still ok to put them in now as 2 months in and racked twice.

On the basis that some whiskey makers use old sherry casks and vice versa, the whiskey barrel chips should be good. French medium is what I used before I started using barrels. You can add chips anytime. As for sweetening, bear in mind that grape juice will dilute the alcohol somewhat. Port is fortified with brandy. Cheap stuff, like 3 Barrels, contains some caramel. Another useful additive is glycerine, which is sweet, does not ferment and adds body.

Love the glycerine idea. I used it before for wine. Would you think a teaspoon will be enough. Suppose will depend on how sweet I want it.
Are the barrels you use small and if so where did you get them.
Thanks for your advice. It is really appreciated.
When your investing a few years to get something you want it to be right. Cheers.

My largest barrel is a firkin (9 gallons) which I got at a boot fair. It's not the most useful size. I have 3 oak pins (4.5 gallon) which I bought new from thebarrelmakers.co.uk, at £95, including delivery., a stand, tap and cork bung. The taps are rubbish, made of wood and plastic and leaky. I have replaced them with shaved down synthetic corks. You can get better ones, fitted with proper brass taps and wooden bungs, from Poland and Italy. through eBay. I got a 7 litre one at a boot fair for £40. A good tap makes racking very easy, bearing in mind you can't see sediment in a barrel. I still use polypins for dispensing the wine.

Latest posts

Back