racking to a closed bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybon92

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on my first wine kit, and it seems to be going very well. My question is I'm going to rack it off to a secondary, fermentations done and it's clearing/cleared
I am wondering if it is safe to rack it into one of my fermentation buckets problem is it does not have an airlock but just a tight lid. By my thinking if it's done fermenting it should be alright to sit in there for a good few days ?

Thankyou in advanced and sorry if this is very newbie

You can lay the lid on top and not snap it shut if it's only going to be in there a couple of days for clearing.

Okay thabks, I'm 98% sire it's cleared in the demijohn ( it's a red) I just don't want it sitting on the yeast for too long cause I think that's what ruined my last two beer, they came out with mega "yeast bite"

Its a wilkos red cab sav! Instructions just say about onced it's cleared bottle it. I've bagged it now anyways I just wanted it off the sediment but as its cleared why not! I know early homebrews are rarely nice but it tasted like rose, the missus will be happy haha

If the instructions don't tell you to rack it to a second FV it's best not to, the winebuddy kits tell you to make it from start to finish in the first FV and they always turn out well, for the short time the wine is on the yeast it will do no harm.

Thankyou for your replies! I always follow the instructions but sometimes as you know they can be ambitious! Like I said after a quick taste it tasted like rose, so at the minute atleast it tastes like wine haha! :)

Back