Buckets & lids.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Hornby

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a starter kit with 2 buckets and all the other paraphernalia. One of the buckets has a hole for the airlock and the other one doesn't. I know the second bucket is for racking but it still needs an airlock right? I'm thinking of investing in a couple of demijohns anyway but wondering how best to utilise the second bucket? I don't really want to drill a hole in case it cracks. Thanks in advance
Dave.

I guess after racking you can just swap the lids?
I don't brew in a bucket but I still have 2 buckets, one I use as part of my brewing system, if you are bottling then it is useful to drop the wort into to batch the sugar addition for carbonation.
I don't bottle anymore but still use it in my process, the other bucket I keep a starsan solution in.

I don't know too much about buckets, but as long as you don't have sharp corners in your hole, the lids not going to crack.

You'll be fine drilling a hole.
Personally I like to drill a hole in the side of my buckets in order to fit a tap (I'm not a big fan of siphons).

To drill clean, round holes in thin plastic buckets or lids you need to get yourself a set of these (than £10 - e.g. on Amazon from this seller).
Use them at low speed.

1686054499643.png

How long are you leaving the beer in the other bucket?
Once the sg has reached less than .998 I'm guessing somewhere between a week or 2. I've only just started so this is only my second batch. Just noticed you said beer but it's wine I'm making if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try drilling a hole. I don't want to swap lids as after I've transferred to the secondary I would like to start another batch.
You only need an airlock if you have active fermentation going on - if you're transferring to secondary then fermentation has pretty much stopped by definition..

You only need an airlock if you have active fermentation going on - if you're transferring to secondary then fermentation has pretty much stopped by definition..
... for smaller brews in plastic.

Larger vessels, glass and stainless should ALWAYS have an airlock (of some sort). This is the only place I do use them.

the sg has reached less than .998 I'm guessing somewhere between a week or 2. I've only just started so this is only my second batch. Just noticed you said beer but it's wine I'm making if that makes a difference.
Ah, a bucket is fine for a short time eg for bottling, but those designed for beer are not always as air tight as you.might hope for longer term storage like aging wine.

I have 2 old boots plastic 5 gallon wine fermentors for that, rather than buckets.
They have tops just wide enough to get your arm into & screw caps that are drilled to the same size as demijohn necks so you can use standard demijohn corks & airlocks.
Let's see if I can find a modern equivalent

Something like this (other suppliers are available, this was just first one I found)
https://brew-day.co.uk/product/ritchie-5-gallon-beer-wine-fermenter/
Or you could use those giant water cooler bottles, but they don't have standard size tops to fit bungs in.

If you have enough demijohns & bungs, just use them as it won't cost anything & you are already familiar with how they work 😃

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try drilling a hole. I don't want to swap lids as after I've transferred to the secondary I would like to start another batch.
If your going to drill a hole in your lid, be sure to put a block/small plank of wood behind the lid to drill through the lid into, that way you wont damage the lid and you'll have a nice clean hole.

if you are making wine you dont need a hole in the lid, most use the buckets to store the wine after "racking" and adding the finings. I got a load of buckts 2nd hand and never used the lids that had holes in the tops. I only brew wine so I guess they are there for the beer brewers to allow some of the CO2 to escape and not blow the lids off.

Back