Real Mans Shaving - Double Edge Razors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Having finally got so p!ssed off with my Electric shaver last year I bought myself a Merkur Futur (stainless) DE razor and entered the mysterious world of DE Shaving . . . . And 1 Year on I love it :party: So much so that I am now looking at getting another razor . . . this time looking for something a little bit 'antique', now some time ago someone (a member) posted to the admin team/mods asking if they could advertise their services as selling refurbished razors. Unfortunately I can't find the post in the mods lounge or remember the chaps name, please get in touch if you still are on here.

Ideally I'm looking for a Gillette from around the early 60's as my dad had one as a wedding present from mum . . .. It got thrown away one Blades became difficult to buy. :(

I got into double edge shaving around a year ago and liked the old-school feel of it all. However now I'm trying to grow my first ever beard so the razor is going unused in the cupboard.

Thanks tony, I can see this costing me a fortune again, I begrudge paying the prices of blades from Gillette.

Do you use shaving gel or foam or do you go the whole hog with brush and hard soap?

Currently Brush and Cream, Yet to try soap

And yes It will cost a fortune, not so much in the cost of a razor (Although they can be expensive) but all the soaps, creams, gels and lotions that you seem to collect . . . and don't even start to talk about brushes :roll: I started of with a Cheapy (10 Quid) MenU from Boots, but am now using a Edwin Jager Best Badger brush (27Quid) . . .but they get seriously expensive . . . if you want to get something like a super badger brush. :shock:

I tend to use The Shaving Shack or The Traditional Shaving Company for most of my supplies . . . And eBay for blades . . .once you know what blades suit you best. . . . Badger and Blade is a great forum for traditional shaving

Was this by any chance because of Craig tube, I did the exact same thing. I order my stuff from nkdman, and also ebay. Takes a bit more time with de, compared with disposable , but much more relaxing and a better result .

by far and away the biggest problem most men have with as i shall say " proper" shaving and this includes straight razors to is time, to shave properly take time a steady safe and easy amount of time, ok so i have a chin like brucie so it adds an extra half hour to do but 5 to 10 mins is about average.

i only ever use solid soap and a brush, i use gillette soap at the moment and the brush was £27 quid ten years ago so gawd know what they are now.

i learnt on a double and then went to live in the middle east and then learnt a straight razor, i went to a babar and paid him to show me what to do :grin: :grin: yep i paid someone to not shave me :wha: :wha:

any way i had to loose the straight razor when i got married because of the kids and went to a mach 3 which is ok, but i do miss the straight blades closeness.

as for electrics, nope sorry never used one so i dont know what there like the same with foam in a can.

Do the brushes really make all the difference? I was looking at the same razor as yours but the satin chrome version, like the adjustability of it :)

used properly to lift the stubble or beard yes they do, if you want to use fingers then use the tips only and flat hands smooth the hair we need it to be on edge to shave off easier, brushes are supposed to be used as a dabbing action with a twist of the brush to lift the hair rather than a paint brush and gloss paint

BrewDan said:
Was this by any chance because of Craig tube
Not at all, there was a thread on JBK about three years ago, that planted the seed, it kept cropping up, so last year I decided to take the plunge. I think like most while it takes more time, I actually find it to be more enjoyable.

I would say that using a brush is essential (Although there are plenty that use hands), you don't really need to spend a lot on a brush, I prefer my EJ as it makes creating a lather much quicker, although now I have the technique down I suspect that my MenU would do as adequate a job.

The Futur is a great razor, and I bought it because of the adjustability, although that does cut both ways . . . . It gives you something else to experiment with which makes it difficult to hone technique (which is by far more important). I followed the advice to leave it on 2.5, using ONE cream, and worked my way through packets of blades until I found a blade that suited me, then using one cream and one blade, gradually increased the 'cut' until I reached maximum (About a month ago) . . . Now I'm playing with different creams.

The good thing about the Futur is that I can use it at 6 for a first WTG cut, then turn it down to 4 for a XTG and then ATG cuts, assuming I want a truly BBS shave

Cyclops said:
Do the brushes really make all the difference?

Yes they do is the short answer, I've a selection of brushes etc been D/E shaving a while :thumb:

Brushes, I have 4 pure badger bristle :oops: ... Vulfix 'Old Original' , Italian Omega, New Yorks Art of Shaving & 'The Grosvenor'

Had 5 Razors until recently .... Merkur 34c 34g Edwin Jaggers EJ86 EJ87 EJ89

Now just have the Edwin Jaggers EJ86 EJ87 EJ89

Soaps, Taylors of Old Bond Street, particularly like Sandalwood, Eton College

Blades, well Astra Platinum seem to be my favourite but if you're just starting out you can get some excellent value 'sample packs'

Blades hard to get :eek: 38 different brands of double edge blades available from Paul @

http://connaughtshaving.com/

needless to say thats where I get all my supplies from, very quick and reasonably priced service :thumb:

Aleman did you ever find an early 1960's Gillette? I've a British Superspeed from the 50's/60's which I could probably be persuaded to part with as I normally use a cut throat, and have several other DE's I prefer.

Hi Jeltz,

Yes I managed to get a Gillette Tech 3 Piece for 7 quid which makes a perfect travel razor, and then I found one of these

$(KGrHqZ,!nQE-)r!ncRbBPuLZn)-8!~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqN,!nME-0drNZgOBPuLZ2R+r!~~60_12.JPG

Which I got for 25 quid . . . Not adjustable like a super speed, but a really nice TTO, and the gold plating isn't really all that worn.

My dad had one of those many moons ago. I'm a cut-throat man though, I couldn't live without my straight razor :)

The Goatreich said:
I got into double edge shaving around a year ago and liked the old-school feel of it all. However now I'm trying to grow my first ever beard so the razor is going unused in the cupboard.

is it a goatee your growing? :D

Well I've tried electric wet and dry, I've tried wet razor Mach 3 etc but I've never been happy with any. What's the next step to try on a buffet as I've had a look at the straight ones and they are £120+

simonkidder said:
Well I've tried electric wet and dry, I've tried wet razor Mach 3 etc but I've never been happy with any. What's the next step to try on a buffet as I've had a look at the straight ones and they are £120+

There's nothing like a straight shave, honestly.

Starting off I would get yourself one of the replaceable blade straight razors. They just use normal razor blades halved in 2. That's what I started off with.

It gets you into the feel of doing it, the angles and how much pressure to apply etc. It's tricky to start off with, I think my first shave I had 3 nicks lol, but it's a great thing to learn.

The best thing about it is you can literally have as much growth as you want and shave back to a babys bum. If you do a straight shave then go against the grain you will feel like you have no hair on your face at all. Unbelievable when done right :D

Thanks for this Tony, more money spent on a futur, I only shave with it on setting 1 at the moment though till I g.et my technique sorted. Used some gillette 7 o'clock blades and they are mega sharp compared to the derby blades I have in currently.

Great shaver though

To be honest I don't think those replaceable blade straights (shavettes) are the best to learn on they are very unforgiving of the slightest laps in technique.

Jeltz said:
To be honest I don't think those replaceable blade straights (shavettes) are the best to learn on they are very unforgiving of the slightest laps in technique.

That's most likely why I found the transition so easy then lol. A few nicks and you soon learn anyway :D

Latest posts

Back