Real Mans Shaving - Double Edge Razors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get stuck for razor blades try a model aeroplane shop ! they usually have them in stock along with the single edged blades.
Can't beat a wet shave. Can't stand electric razors.

first few shaves only do 1 pass, let your face and technique get used to it. Then as you progress so across the grain and then against it.

I bought one myself after seeing it on here, will never look back at 3p a blade :)

with the grain and no pressure, just let the weight of the razor do the job. Are you using a shaving brush and proper soap/cream of canned gunk?

The canned stuff really doesn't provide very good glide and cushion, IMO proper preparation and a good lather is 70% of a decent shave.

Been shaving with DE for ages now. Fed up with either cheap and nasty plastic disposables or horrendously expensive Mach3alikes....

So whats the best DE blades to get?

jonewer said:
So whats the best DE blades to get?
Its personal preference.

I like Wilkinson swords and Gillette Super Thin, some like the ultra sharp Feathers and Gillette 7 O'clock yellows but I find them harsh and loads of people hate derbys me included but then again plenty like them. Supermax are cheaper than chips on ebay and I find then quite good.

Best thing is to get a sample pack and see what suits you best.

I like the Gillette Super Thin razor blades. The Thai packaged ones. You can pick them up on ebay, that usually come with a free very cheap and rubbish Weishi razor.

I started Wet Shaving back in January, all because I read one of Alemans threads on Wet Shaving. I started for 2 reasons.

1, I had to start shaving again, it was a work requirement, and 2, I didn't like the cost of the Gillette multi blade cartridges.

As I've been mainly working abroad this year, I haven't been able to spend much time on the brewery, or even brewing, so another hobby was required, this is where shaving came in. I have spent much of the year finding the perfect shave, which I have now achieved. For me that means using a Weber ARC razor, a Gillette Super Thin blade, Floris JF Soap and After Shave, and one of many of the brushes I have acquired, most of which hand made by Rod Neep.

I have of course acquired a few bits and pieces along the way, so much for saving money not buying multi blade cartridges.

stash.jpg

lol, yeah it can be dear but its an investment ;) I'm considering flogging some bits to buy a 33 or 50l brew kettle.

Small place t'internet I believe we have met elsewhere.

the number of replies to this is astounding.
If we did a venn diagram of men who home brew, and use double edge razors, I wonder what the crossover would be?

I have used double edges for about 2 1/2 years, I cannot use an electric shaver, I get burning skin, and a really horrible rash with white zits, not nice on a 37 year old!

So, after years of different electric razors, creams, ointments, and techniques, I tried a gilette mach 3, and my skin screamed it's thanks. Once I got used to that, I was talking to someone about shaving,who suggested I try DE, and the difference is almost as profound as the change from electric to Mach 3.

I tried different blades, the sample pack from Connaught Shaving is brilliant, I settled on gilette 7 o'clock super platinum, only for them to be discontinued... I found Timor blades to be very similar.

Being a yorkshire born lad, I use Woolfatt (my parents knew the family that make it) and a badger bristle brush, personally, the gloop from a can of shaving foam is not as good.

There are reviews on Badger and Blade

I love using a double edge, it is my little luxury.

This may be simply a duplicate post from what others have already said, but basically, me too!

miker7301 said:
the number of replies to this is astounding.
If we did a venn diagram of men who home brew, and use double edge razors, I wonder what the crossover would be?

Quite high I in comparison the population as a whole I suspect. Maybe its that we tried to save money or maybe its that we are prepared to put in the extra effort to have the best or perhaps a bit of both.

Latest posts

Back