Recipe Blindness... recommendations please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Anyone else get this? There are so many I want to try, I cannot decide what to do next! So maybe someone can help me.

I've done a couple of pales, so think I should give a nice malty, slightly sweeter, darker ale a try. I've recently been fancying a pint of the cask conditioned McEwans 80/- that I used to drink by the gallon about 15 years ago.

I've already got some Pilsner malt (about 1.2kg), some Caramunich (0.3kg), some Goldings and some Saaz, Nottingham yeast and taps full of water! Any recipe that ideally can use something from the above is all the better. I realise I will have to buy more ingredients for it, but I like to use what I've already got as well if possible.

Looking for a high 4's to low 5's abv classic British ale. Any ideas?

You could do a blonde / pseudo lager type with that.

What style are you also looking to do? maybe try a brown ale or even consider a stout or porter for something a bit different..

Like you say thereis so much to choose from, did you get hold of Greg Hughes book? obvioulsy you don't have to stick to them but there is at least a template of a solid recipe for pretty much every style. So think about what style you want to do and take it from there

You could do a blonde / pseudo lager type with that.

What style are you also looking to do? maybe try a brown ale or even consider a stout or porter for something a bit different..

Like you say thereis so much to choose from, did you get hold of Greg Hughes book? obvioulsy you don't have to stick to them but there is at least a template of a solid recipe for pretty much every style. So think about what style you want to do and take it from there

Funny you should mention a pseudo lager. I thought about doing that AS WELL as a darker ale. I've got a 5l easy keg, so thought about doing a 5l batch to stick in there and then buying ingredients for something else.

I was planning a brown porter next which MAY have been in the GH book actually, I can't remember without it in front of me. But, I'm edging towards something a little sweeter. Unless I can just do something to up the sweetness of that recipe... mash at 68 perhaps?

Funny you should mention a pseudo lager. I thought about doing that AS WELL as a darker ale. I've got a 5l easy keg, so thought about doing a 5l batch to stick in there and then buying ingredients for something else.

I was planning a brown porter next which MAY have been in the GH book actually, I can't remember without it in front of me. But, I'm edging towards something a little sweeter. Unless I can just do something to up the sweetness of that recipe... mash at 68 perhaps?

Picking an approiate yeast will leave sweetness and various flavours.

Which yeasts would have that sort of effect?

BTW, it was in the GH book, I'm back home now and just checked.

The strain will depend on the style and I willl admit am far from knowing all about various strains.

For example if you was brewing an English Ale you "could" use Nottingham or even US05 for something cleaner and drier. But there are plenty of English strains liek ringwood Boddingtons whitbreads just to name a few which come in mostly liquid forms only.. Look at the Whitelabs or wyeast for strains for the style you use and look at various characteristics such as attenuation and flavours..

Yeast is something often overlooked but can have a huge impact on your beer.

Which yeasts would have that sort of effect?

Well, you could try something from this range:
http://www.brewlab.co.uk/store/home-brew/s-3
If you like a Scottish tasting beer, maybe try their Borders1 yeast. I have tried the Newcastle, with first-class results.

I have to say, for the homebrewer, their website is terrible!! But their yeast is the best in the business, for me. It comes on an agar slope, needs careful (i.e. sterile) handling to make a starter - but then goes like a train. Real brewery yeasts, these.

As for your OP, well you aren't going to get much ale out of that! But, how much (what volume) do you want to make? Only 1.5kg of malt - looks to me like about 7-8l of beer. So, if you wanted to make this sort of volume, and make it darker and taste a bit maltier, well I might try a scaled-down version of this (I'm still - maybe always will be - working on it!:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Malty Bitter (28l in FV)
FERMENTABLES:
4.4 kg - Maris Otter Pale (85.1%) Pilsener would work
0.45 kg - Caragold (Malt Miller) (8.7%)
0.2 kg - Crystal 70L (3.9%)
0.12 kg Pale Chocolate (2.3%)

HOPS:
20 g - Warrior, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.93
20 g - Challenger, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7.4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.6
33 g - Fuggles, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
33 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
33 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5, Use: Dry Hop for 5-10 days

Caramunch should be fine instead of Caragold. Saaz instead of Fuggles or Challenger (watch the AA) - why not??

For the hops, I must stress that I never force-cool the wort - and I leave the hops in. So, the malt bill will work for you. The hop bill might not - if you chill the wort after boiling, it won't be nearly as bitter as mine!

Good idea about the mini keg. I've got a mini keg of honey porter in my domestic fridge at the moment that I'm lagering for about a month

Just brewed an old Peculiar type beer. Turned out dark, nice and malty with some sweetness..

Went for 5.7% abv but you can dial this back easily..

5.5% crystal malt
3.5% choc malt

There's 3 different hops in the Graham wheeler recipe but 1 hop is fine (and cheaper).
EKG for 30 IBU at 60 min
EKG for 5 IBU at 10 min.

Ferment with nottingham.

Well, you could try something from this range:
http://www.brewlab.co.uk/store/home-brew/s-3
If you like a Scottish tasting beer, maybe try their Borders1 yeast. I have tried the Newcastle, with first-class results.

I have to say, for the homebrewer, their website is terrible!! But their yeast is the best in the business, for me. It comes on an agar slope, needs careful (i.e. sterile) handling to make a starter - but then goes like a train. Real brewery yeasts, these.

As for your OP, well you aren't going to get much ale out of that! But, how much (what volume) do you want to make? Only 1.5kg of malt - looks to me like about 7-8l of beer. So, if you wanted to make this sort of volume, and make it darker and taste a bit maltier, well I might try a scaled-down version of this (I'm still - maybe always will be - working on it!:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Malty Bitter (28l in FV)
FERMENTABLES:
4.4 kg - Maris Otter Pale (85.1%) Pilsener would work
0.45 kg - Caragold (Malt Miller) (8.7%)
0.2 kg - Crystal 70L (3.9%)
0.12 kg Pale Chocolate (2.3%)

HOPS:
20 g - Warrior, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.93
20 g - Challenger, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7.4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.6
33 g - Fuggles, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
33 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
33 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5, Use: Dry Hop for 5-10 days

Caramunch should be fine instead of Caragold. Saaz instead of Fuggles or Challenger (watch the AA) - why not??

For the hops, I must stress that I never force-cool the wort - and I leave the hops in. So, the malt bill will work for you. The hop bill might not - if you chill the wort after boiling, it won't be nearly as bitter as mine!

Only looking for a 10 litre batch, I like a bit of variety :)

I think I will use that stuff I've got left for a diddy keg of pseudo lager... as a trial, see how it goes.

Just been having a flick through my 25p copy of camra's European beers book and saw their recipe for McEwan's 80/-. I've tinkered it a bit and come up with this, what do you reckon?

1.5kg Pale malt
50g Chocolate malt
100g Torrefied wheat
200g Caramunich malt
150g Sucrose

17g Goldings (60m)
5g Goldings (15m)

0.5 top Irish Moss (15m)

Should give about 28-30 ibu, OG 1.046, 4.5% abv

I was thinking of getting a WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast, but as I only do 2 gallons, can I use half the vial and put the other half in the fridge to use another time?

I was thinking of getting a WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast, but as I only do 2 gallons, can I use half the vial and put the other half in the fridge to use another time?

Yes, however, bear in mind White Labs Yeast now comes in pouches, rather than screw top vials.

This was malty and brilliant.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53514

I did a version with EKG and Cascade too, also good. You can vary the hops. And the yeast, it's a great malt mix.

I would use a whole pack of Whitelabs yeast in two gallons, and then harvest yeast from the brew. You don't know how viable the yeast is.

Just read that you based out on Dark Island.... SOLD.! That's one of my favourite tipples.

The missus just peeked over my shoulder and asked "has he got one for Northern Lights too?"... She is partial to that one... :rolleyes:

It's not the same as Dark Island. And Dark Island uses EKG and First Gold hops.

I don't know Northern Lights sorry.

Back