Recommend me an IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piemaster

Reaction score
After my first brew went surprisingly well, I am eager to get back on the horse and make some more. I am thinking of trying an IPA as my wife quite likes that as well.

Can anybody recommend me an IPA kit that they have achieved good/great results with?

Munton's premium IPA. I've done it several times and it's excellent. You have the option to brew it at 4.5%abv or 6% by adding extra sugar according to the instructions. I have done the 6% several times using demorara sugar.... superb!

Piemaster, I've just recently conditioned ( and drank some of) a St Peter's IPA kit, which in my opinion was much better than a Cooper's IPA that I did previously. I brewed it a bit short to around 20l ( however I think the kit is actually designed for this volume... I can't remember) and it's now at about 6 weeks of aging and getting better by the week. More or less done as per instructions, I used 1kg of DME, and it really is very good for a kit

Tom

I've just started a Muntons Gold IPA to which I've added a bag of Muntons Brew Enhancer.

I can't tell how good it is but if it's anything like Muntons Gold Old English Ale it will be fantastic.

Ian... said:
Munton's premium IPA. I've done it several times and it's excellent. You have the option to brew it at 4.5%abv or 6% by adding extra sugar according to the instructions. I have done the 6% several times using demorara sugar.... superb!

Would that be this one?

Muntons_premium_gold_midas_touch.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am researching all of them.

It could be, though the box picture (which is at home now and I'm at 'work') is different. Heres the blurb from www.art-of-brewing.co.uk
This is definitely the one and it does say 'gold' not 'premium' as I said.

MUNTONS GOLD INDIA PALE ALE (IPA) 40p 3kg Ref: 1468
India Pale Ale was created to keep troops supplied with fresh beer in the British East Indies. This special beer was brewed to a high alcoholic strength to prevent spoilage during the long voyage. On arrival the beer was 'watered down' to normal pub strength for the troops. Officers, of course, had access to the non-diluted version! This kit gives you the choice to brew the "Troops Tipple"at approx. 4.5% ABV strenth or the "Higher Rank's Reserve" - a higher strength version at approx. 6% ABV by adding 1kg of our GLUCOSE POWDER. Serve either version at cellar temperature 13°C, 56°F. Brews 40 UK pints.

Price: £19.59

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am still pretty new at this and I think I am going to stick with kits for the time being until I get my confidence up.

Piemaster said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am still pretty new at this and I think I am going to stick with kits for the time being until I get my confidence up.

If I can do it anyone can . My DIY skills make Frank Spencer look like a Master Craftsman! :oops:

Latest posts

Back