Records

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There was an article about a new record shop opening in Liverpool on our local news the other night i was surprised by the number of young men/women who said they prefer the sound of a record to streaming, MP3 etc, do members still listen to vinyl?

Last edited:
My wife and I sold our CD collection a couple of months ago. We only kept a few. I still have my collection of vinyl from the 80's, and my daughter (20 in a couple of weeks) only has a collection of vinyl. It gives a kind of rest, putting an LP on the turntable. That is something for the weekend, with a nice aperitif. (Mind, I have a subscription on Spotify and in the past four years I discovered a whole lot of heavy guitar centered bands which I would probably not have known in another way).

I have a fair bit of vinyl I've bought over the years, but it is far too expensive to buy new stuff nowadays for the most part. If I like something I feel like I want to physically own it (it makes me feel uncomfortable relying on the fact that it will always be there on some streaming service - as Neil Young removing all his stuff from Spotify proved).

These days I buy CDs much more for new stuff. Some bands/musicians I committed to vinyl too long ago to stop - Beatles or Van Morrison, for example. Some music I like from US bands/musicians only release their stuff on limited amounts of vinyl and streaming, so I just have to accept that I won't physically own it (which is a bit weird for me, but I am slowly getting used to the idea).

For my set up at least, music sounds best on cd. I am convinced CDs will come back in fashion.

The advantage of vinyl is that the music is broken into chunks. A JJ Cale album of half an hour on cd is ok, even up to 40 mins, but double albums work better on vinyl because they end up being a lot to sit through and it's nice to make the decision about when to continue. The size and act of putting a record on is also nice.

That said, I use Spotify and really like discovering new music through it.

Apologies for the essay!

.....You used to be able to pick up amazing records in charity shops and car boot sales, but the internet and the fashion for vinyl has ruined that. These days you only seem to see those easy listening records from the 1970s that must have sold in enormous quantities!

I've got hundreds of LPs, singles and CDs. I rip them all to FLAC files on a NAS so I can listen to them anywhere.
When buying new it's usually CDs or FLAC files. I still buy vinyl second hand.

Have about 400. Buy less now that I did a couple of years ago and don't get opportunity to put record player on as much as I used to. It's much more of an experience putting a record on than pressing play on Spotify etc.

Jean Michelle Jarre was once asked the analogue v. digital question and he said "I'd rather sleep with a woman with a lot of makeup than one that has been sliced into very thin slices and then stuck back together".

Why does anyone listen to Spotify? Aren't the high bit-rate platforms like Qobuz and Tidal much better? Or does Spotify have a bigger library?
As for records, got loads of them. Music isn't music without the crackles and pops. I'm currently going through my collection to see what I want to keep and what to get rid of. Still got some albums from my youth that I've actually worn out: "In Rock" and "Grave New World" spring to mind.
Never had a high end turntable though, In the day it used to be Thorens, today my sister's partner proudly boasts of a Sondek, which I've never heard as he's still saving up the several hundreds of pounds he needs for a new cartridge. I understand changing the stylus periodically, but why do you need to replace the cartridge.
I suppose my setup is comprised of mid-range stuff costing, today, around £600-£800 per component, but not quite "audiophile". I still love the sound from my old record-player, though. There's something warm and wholesome about vinyl and its not just the crackle and pops

So, it begs the question, what are people using for vinyl transcription these days?

Why does anyone listen to Spotify? Aren't the high bit-rate platforms like Qobuz and Tidal much better? Or does Spotify have a bigger library?
As for records, got loads of them. Music isn't music without the crackles and pops. I'm currently going through my collection to see what I want to keep and what to get rid of. Still got some albums from my youth that I've actually worn out: "In Rock" and "Grave New World" spring to mind.
Never had a high end turntable though, In the day it used to be Thorens, today my sister's partner proudly boasts of a Sondek, which I've never heard as he's still saving up the several hundreds of pounds he needs for a new cartridge. I understand changing the stylus periodically, but why do you need to replace the cartridge.
I suppose my setup is comprised of mid-range stuff costing, today, around £600-£800 per component, but not quite "audiophile". I still love the sound from my old record-player, though. There's something warm and wholesome about vinyl and its not just the crackle and pops

So, it begs the question, what are people using for vinyl transcription these days?
If you mean ripping vinyl then the answer is "Vinyl Studio"

Slightly off topic, but a mate of mine has started to collect vhs? !

So if you have any, I'll give you his number as I know charity shops don't take them 😂

I think music concerts mostly. Perhaps wrestling?

I bought him a charlatans (or inspiral carpets) video from an antique shop in Alnwick. It was just a display item but £2 he'll be made when I give it him.

Back