Red Grape Juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyh

Reaction score
I found RGJ in Tescos and Morrisons. One made from concentrate and the other NOT made from concentrate.

Does it make any differance??? for brewing. :wha:

Here's a recipe for Richards Red , I've tried it and certainly WOULDN'T make it again. -

3 litres pure pressed red grape juice (3 for £2 Tescos or Sainsburys 100% pressed red grape or you can use the Italian grape juice from Sainsbods in place of one of the pressed.)

I can (245 gram) Youngs wine enricher ( I get mine from Wilko's) this is a must as it gives some body to the wine.

1tsp nutrient, 1tsp citric acid, 1tsp pectolase ½tsp tannin and I always use a Vit B1 tab but it is not essential.

450 grams sugar dissolved in hot water to make 1 litre liquid.

Make up to the 1 gall mark with water if needed and check OG should be around 1090-5.

I always use 500 grams sugar this gives an OG of 1.100 at the 1 gall mark I then fill almost to the top this, I find, then brings it down to 1.090 and I then draw off about ¾ litre and ferment this in a pet this way I get a full DJ when the fermentation dies down and no frothing over.

Use a starter yeast ( I use Harris's super yeast but a Burgandy gives better results) and ferment to required dryness mine is about 0.998

Then the usual de-gas stabilise fine filter etc.

I usually get 6+ bottles using my method but it does cost about £5 and you do get a decent red table wine.

I make this wine regularly and use this as my house wine and think it tastes lovely I play about with the grape juices and get different flavours.Pearlfisher why wont you make this again if as you say makes a decent table wine?

andyh said:
I found RGJ in Tescos and Morrisons. One made from concentrate and the other NOT made from concentrate.

Pure Pressed should be better than "from concentrate", because it hasn't been buggered about with to the same extent. In practice it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference though.

I get most of mine from Aldi, not from concentrate, 85p a litre :thumb:

You don't use grape juice for brewing though ;)

patesy said:
I make this wine regularly and use this as my house wine and think it tastes lovely I play about with the grape juices and get different flavours.Pearlfisher why wont you make this again if as you say makes a decent table wine?

Sorry , I was quoting from the recipe should have enclosed it with " ".

I made it from 4l of Welch's purple grape juice , which imo tastes horrible to start with and didn't taste any better after it had fermented .
Oldgrays said he made some and left it for two years and it's just about usable for cooking!

I have said it before and will say it again. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Attempting to simulate great wine is fun but doomed to failure. At best you can make brave alternatives.

Moley said:
andyh said:

Pure Pressed should be better than "from concentrate", because it hasn't been buggered about with to the same extent. In practice it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference though.

I get most of mine from Aldi, not from concentrate, 85p a litre :thumb:

You don't use grape juice for brewing though ;)

Cheers Moley, that's even cheaper than I've seen :thumb: I've never shopped in Aldi, I'll give it a try.

Thanks again

Andy

Latest posts

Back