Relatively new to homebrew, after advice and friends in the homebrew community

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHippyTommy

Reaction score
Hey,

After various google enquiries and seeing certain informative and amusing replies from users of site, I thought it might be kinda cool to register here to learn and make some nice connections.
I've only done extract kit brewing and in practical terms, I'm more interested in learning about tips regarding the making country wines from scratch rather than full on all grain brewing, but I'd love to do that at some point.
IMG_20230713_105615_1689242184223.jpg
Photo is of my current wardrobe set up where I've got bulldog easter choc stout, bards bitter and muntons conkerwood black ale on the go. Radiator obvs not on now but when cranked up brings temp up to 35c, which is cool (ok, maybe wrong word...) for bashing out kveik thingys, for parties of thirsty ferrets.
Was definitely a good call getting into homebrew (especially now our beloved Government is expanding penny pinching on all fronts and peeing in beers...)
Anyway, I won't ramble.
Hopefully looking forward to making some new friends here. Hope you're enjoying the Summer so far.

Hugs,

Tommy

Hey,

After various google enquiries and seeing certain informative and amusing replies from users of site, I thought it might be kinda cool to register here to learn and make some nice connections.
I've only done extract kit brewing and in practical terms, I'm more interested in learning about tips regarding the making country wines from scratch rather than full on all grain brewing, but I'd love to do that at some point.
View attachment 87810Photo is of my current wardrobe set up where I've got bulldog easter choc stout, bards bitter and muntons conkerwood black ale on the go. Radiator obvs not on now but when cranked up brings temp up to 35c, which is cool (ok, maybe wrong word...) for bashing out kveik thingys, for parties of thirsty ferrets.
Was definitely a good call getting into homebrew (especially now our beloved Government is expanding penny pinching on all fronts and peeing in beers...)
Anyway, I won't ramble.
Hopefully looking forward to making some new friends here. Hope you're enjoying the Summer so far.

Hugs,

Tommy
Hey Tommy

Greetings and all that stuff 👍
Keep an eye on the lids of those Brew2Bottle buckets. The bottom bit that you bend up all the way around to get the lid off will crack after a few uses. I got one a while ago but don't use it now because of that.

These......

1689247746048.png

Are much more robust. Brew2Bottle sell the 33 litre version but are out of stock at the moment

Link to the Brew2Bottle ones......

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/equipment/products/fermentation-bins-buckets-mashing-binsCheers Tom

Last edited:
Hey Tommy

Greetings and all that stuff 👍
Keep an eye on the lids of those Brew2Bottle buckets. The bottom bit that you bend up all the way around to get the lid off will crack after a few uses. I got one a while ago but don't use it now because of that.

These......

View attachment 87813
Are much more robust. Brew2Bottle sell the 33 litre version but are out of stock at the moment

Link to the Brew2Bottle ones......

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/equipment/products/fermentation-bins-buckets-mashing-binsCheers Tom
Hello,

Thank ye kindly Soupdragon. Yes, they don't look like they will last forever, but I haven't had one break on me just yet. Thankfully the replacement lids aren't dear, but I hear you mate. I will admit I have admired the 33l Ritchie ones I have seen online (sad I know haha) more for degassing wine if required, but also greater capacity for playing around with double batches of smaller kits (like the Brewferm ones), makeshift imperial stouts or anything really lively. Might get a 30l one from Lovebrewing. Mr Blackwell seems like a decent chap, plus the immersion heater gadget option with bored alternative lid looks very useful, especially for winter temp control.
Aww. Thanks for the reply Soupdragon. Much appreciated.

The bottom bit that you bend up all the way around to get the lid off will crack after a few uses

Thank ye kindly Soupdragon. Yes, they don't look like they will last forever, but I haven't had one break on me just yet.

I have the same FV, you break the tab in the first picture off which allows you to get your fingers under the rim of the lid (pic 2) breaking the seal and allowing it to be easily removed, i had the original 7 years and only recently replaced it because of the amount of scratches in the bottom, it was still airtight.

048.png
FV.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same FV, you break the tab off (marked below) this allows you to get your fingers under the lid and lift it breaking the seal it then lifts off with ease, i had the original 7 years and only recently replaced it because of the amount of scratches in the bottom, it was still airtight.

View attachment 87843
Crossed wires Mr T.
That is the picture if the good ones, it's the Brew2Bottle branded ones pictured in the opening post I was referring to about the dodgy lids

Cheers Tom

Crossed wires Mr T.
That is the picture if the good ones, it's the Brew2Bottle branded ones pictured in the opening post I was referring to about the dodgy lids

Cheers Tom
Hi.
So, do minute scratches in the plastic really make much difference? I'm guessing after there's enough of them then...
I have perhaps been naughty and used the green side of a sponge on FV buckets, just for the more stubborn krausen bits 😔 Is there really such an enhanced bacteria threat because of tiny scratches tho? I did see someone calling concerns about scratches an 'old wives tale', but this is strictly to be avoided then? I haven't had to ditch a batch yet, but I don't really keep them longer than a month after bottling 🤭 so maybe not enough time for potential bacteria to ruin the beer?
Sorry, total nube questions, but I very much appreciate experienced consensus.
Thank you for your views on this.

Back in my (very) early brewing days, I had the one plastic bucket in use for many years without any issues. As far as scratches are concerned, as long as they're not too deep and your cleaning routine is good enough I wouldn't worry. I've got 3 of those Ritchie's buckets for regular brewing and one of those Brew2Bottle ones that I only use for cleaning stuff. So I wouldn't stress over it too much. As long as you're enjoying your beverages then all is well 👍

Cheers Tom

So, do minute scratches in the plastic really make much difference?

Some members think scratches can harbour nasties and your sanitising method will not kill them, all i can say on the subject is i have used my FV for 7 years and it has always had plenty of scratches in the bottom and i haven't had a single batch go bad.

Some members think scratches can harbour nasties and your sanitising method will not kill them, all i can say on the subject is i have used my FV for 7 years and it has always had plenty of scratches in the bottom and i haven't had a single batch go bad.
Thanks. I was getting the vibe that this was the case. There's a very 'preppy' sort of element to some ways of thinking. As the soupdragon mentioned, so long as there's no deep gouges, then I can't really imagine it being an issue, but I'll try to retract my claws when cleaning nonetheless.
I like the name Chippy tea... Well, I guess there's nothing really better with fish and chips than a nice strong cup of tea... 2nd place is a cold coca cola, I think that's because it washes down the grease so effectively haha.

Last edited:
Got crafty earlier after collecting a Ritchies FV bucket someone was giving away on freecycle.org. Was a little disappointed when I saw the plain lid, so I got Mr Knife and carefully made a hole with gentle circular motions till approximately 1/2" hole. It wasn't a dog of a job, so I got Grommet and now I don't have 'The Wrong Trousers'. I know this is all terribly cheesy, but "Eee... Wensleydale!"
(Can anyone tell me, apart from storage of dry goods, why the f you would have a plain lid anyway?... Ok, you can pop open a tiny section to let the gas build up out, but I don't want fruit flies or any other little blighters getting into my beer and turning it into vinegar...)
Now however, it is 'Bubbley Jubbley', as Delboy might say.
Also, let it be be said that 'thoughts become things', because there was a dangley immersion heater thing in with it too (along with various tubing etc) and I had just been talking about getting one here in this thread a few hours earlier. Perhaps we really do attract things with our thoughts, in a metaphysical sort of way. Far out man! ✌️
It's actually for a fish tank lol, but has a range of 18-32c, so could be useful. Hopefully B&Q will have a suitable grommet for that... Maybe borrow a few drill bits from next door to bore a bigger hole. I kept a lid that I messed the hole up trying this on an early attempt last year, but I can hopefully use that to just make a more even, wider hole for the gadget and rescue the lid 🤔.

Ps... Q) what do you call a TV presenter who brews terrible beer?

A) Ester Rancid... 😁

"ank yaww"
(I'm here all week...)

pixlr_20230713211855617.jpg

(Can anyone tell me, apart from storage of dry goods, why the f you would have a plain lid anyway?... Ok, you can pop open a tiny section to let the gas build up out, but I don't want fruit flies or any other little blighters getting into my beer and turning it into vinegar...)

You can lay the lid on without snapping it down leaving no gap the Co2 forces its way out there is no way nasties can get in.

Latest posts

Back