Relatively new to homebrew, after advice and friends in the homebrew community

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would recommend getting a builders trug
1689319918689.png

of a suitable size and use it as a water bath to put the fermenter in with the heater attached to the side of the trug (they usually have suction cups with them). Saves risking giving any nasties that might have found a hiding place on the heater some beer to chew on

Cheers Tom

That's an inventive idea I will grant you that, but I think the general point, especially in these times, is energy efficiency and for me, accuracy of heat control, which would surely be negated with a bath for the FV. Also this would take up space I don't have, and yet another thing to have to buy. But, I guess I could get some goldfish to have swimming around the FV to make it more interesting... May as well just get a heat pad for underneath, no? But yet again, less energy efficiency/precision.
It's just an enclosed glass cylinder, with no chips or cracks. Surely, not hard to sanitise? I don't think it's even been used for a fish tank.
"oh, but the bit where it joins the plastic!..."
I have hydrogen peroxide solution spray and ISO alcohol spray, so any possible bacteria will be killed deader than a hammer.
"oh, but then you'll probably damage it!"
Jeez!... I'm sticking with my original plan. Thanks for the bonkers idea tho, ha!

Attachments

• VID_20230714_085937.mp4
    9.6 MB
That's an inventive idea I will grant you that, but I think the general point, especially in these times, is energy efficiency and for me, accuracy of heat control, which would surely be negated with a bath for the FV. Also this would take up space I don't have, and yet another thing to have to buy. But, I guess I could get some goldfish to have swimming around the FV to make it more interesting... May as well just get a heat pad for underneath, no? But yet again, less energy efficiency/precision.
It's just an enclosed glass cylinder, with no chips or cracks. Surely, not hard to sanitise? I don't think it's even been used for a fish tank.
"oh, but the bit where it joins the plastic!..."
I have hydrogen peroxide solution spray and ISO alcohol spray, so any possible bacteria will be killed deader than a hammer.
"oh, but then you'll probably damage it!"
Jeez!... I'm sticking with my original plan. Thanks for the bonkers idea tho, ha!
I've used a fish tank heater inside the fv in the past. If you do plan to use it calibrate it first in a jug of water so you know what temperature 18 on the dial actually takes it to.

The water bath should give you greater temperature stability with the volume of water acting as a buffer. Most of them are thermostatically controlled too so would minimise power consumption (mine in only 50w anyway). Submersing a heater in your wort is just one extra possible way to introduce unwanted bacteria. Having said that I'm sure many brewers do use them directly in their wort without issue.
Your beer, your choice though 👍

Cheers Tom

The water bath should give you greater temperature stability with the volume of water acting as a buffer. Most of them are thermostatically controlled too so would minimise power consumption (mine in only 50w anyway). Submersing a heater in your wort is just one extra possible way to introduce unwanted bacteria. Having said that I'm sure many brewers do use them directly in their wort without issue.
Your beer, your choice though 👍

Cheers Tom
I switched to the tub with heater in when I started doing smaller brews (5 or 10 ltr). Using a large tub of water to control a 5ltr container means you can control it to stupid levels of accuracy. I think I did a control test and it was something daft like .003 degree c. :oops:

Latest posts

Back