Removing chlorine from tap water.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't notice the choline in the tap water until I started brewing! Now, it's very obvious.

I have learnt from my water company that chlorine becomes Chloramine when they add ammonia after disinfection.
Chloramine has no smell and taste, negating my opening comments.

Which leads me to think, boiling or standing won't remove Chloramine (only chlorine - which is anyway long gone anyway )

Might try a pitch of potassium metabisulphate and monitor the results. Although I do agree I am fixing a problem I don't think I have.
The results will be very noticeable. When the chlorine, from whatever source combines with the hop phenols it produces a very strong taste of TCP which has a very low taste threshold. The problem is that water companies tend to "flush" the pipes now and again to get rid of bugs, so you might not know when it is and when it isn't there.
It's metabisulphite, by the way Na2(or K2)S2O5. I don;t think metabisulphate exists.

Flavour and odour thresholds are interesting as there's different types. There's the Detection threshold which is the minimum amount required to be tasted and the Identification threshold, which is the minimum amount required to be able to identify the specific flavour. So, where one may not be able to say the beer tastes of chlorophenol, the flavour of the beer may still be positively or negatively impacted. Like when food doesn't taste salty, but if that salt was removed it would be noticeable.

It's metabisulphite, by the way Na2(or K2)S2O5. I don;t think metabisulphate exists.

Good shout. Tbh I usually refer to in a kadfit or KMS. I recon I have had it wrong for a while the phone suggests metabisulphate after potassium... Let's try something else potassium metabisulphite potassium metabisulphite potassium metabisulphite potassium metabisulphite

See if it remembered that 😁

Back on point.

Is there a sensible waiting time between adding the potassium metabisulphite (it worked, wish to dog was that easy to train) and AMS.

Better still is there a best running order for potassium metabisulphite, AMS & DWB?

Agree. Crush a Campden tablet. Stick half the powder in the mash water and the other half in the water set aside for the sparge. Leave for at least 20 minutes before doing the mash. Keep some treated water for topping up the FV if necessary. We have chloramide, sometimes noticeable, but I have eradicated TCP twang from AG brewing.

Latest posts

Back