Replace existing cooler fan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimboscott

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been offered a free beer/glass cooler from a friend I know who runs a pub (refurb taking place).

So rather than dive in and look to convert it for a kegerator, I'm doing my research first as while the fridge itself is quiet, the fans aren't (even after cleaning etc). The cooler has 3 fans in place and are wired as per the pictures, with an earth into the first one and then whatever the black wire is running into each 3.

Now, I guess where I'm stuck is, would it be possible to replace these fans? I can sort the thermostat/temp control out with an Inkbird but don't know what I'd be looking for fan wise? Would the wiring work with a pc fan?

If not, then I'll decline the offer but size wise and ease of converting the rest of it to a kegerator, it really would be ideal if I can sort these fans out!

Attachments

• 20220823_112613.jpg
    20220823_112613.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 16612532759807263150958457660214.jpg
    16612532759807263150958457660214.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1661253293755326768462254206633.jpg
    1661253293755326768462254206633.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi all,

I've been offered a free beer/glass cooler from a friend I know who runs a pub (refurb taking place).

So rather than dive in and look to convert it for a kegerator, I'm doing my research first as while the fridge itself is quiet, the fans aren't (even after cleaning etc). The cooler has 3 fans in place and are wired as per the pictures, with an earth into the first one and then whatever the black wire is running into each 3.

Now, I guess where I'm stuck is, would it be possible to replace these fans? I can sort the thermostat/temp control out with an Inkbird but don't know what I'd be looking for fan wise? Would the wiring work with a pc fan?

If not, then I'll decline the offer but size wise and ease of converting the rest of it to a kegerator, it really would be ideal if I can sort these fans out!
They are 240v fans like in a fridge. The black wire will just be live and neutral to them
Not hard to source replacement fans online for it. There will likely still be a. It of noise as all 3 running will cause vibration etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281526294711?hash=item418c4658b7:g:kWEAAOSwNsdXSB2v

Ok, thank you, I'll shop around and see what the lowest db i can get is and if not worth it, then back to plan A for a fridge off Gumtree!
You could also try disconnecting the fans one at a time to see where your happy medium is. These fans are set for a commercial fridge getting opened an a regular basis. You might get away with 1 running. Worth a try.

You could also try disconnecting the fans one at a time to see where your happy medium is. These fans are set for a commercial fridge getting opened an a regular basis. You might get away with 1 running. Worth a try.
Thanks, was tinkering with it in the pub storage room last night and it does appear as though one fan will sort it and it was much quieter 😃 though when I disconnected all 3 it wouldn't turn on, I assume that's some sort of fail-safe (ran out of time to reconnect them) as the power was going to the thermostat ok. I'll still look to replace the fan to get it as quiet as possible.

Latest posts

Back