reviewing process- bigger stockpot or electric boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

so my wife has asked what I want for Christmas and having bombarded her with my dream brewery I settled on asking for a larger stock pot. At the moment I boil in 2x 6l pots Maxi BIAB style. I initially asked for a 33l stock pot with tap (assuming that my electric, hot plate style, hob will cope?) but was wondering whether actually should just go for another electric boiler instead.

I currently have an Ace boiler, however after the first brew (a year ago) and a year in the shed, it has stopped changing temperature. rather than waste this, I have been using it as a very effective mash tun which works really nicely. BIAB and has a tap so can remove into the pots.

Would it be daft to have 2 electric boilers, one just as a mash tun....

Cost wise, probably not that much more for a cheap boiler, although would prefer a different temperature selection style.

From my one use of the boiler as a BIAB, I found the removal of the bag frustrating (and heavy) whereas my process now means that the wort drains out and I can also sparge if I wanted.

Might be rambling now but interested in anyones thoughts.

Do you know if that would be more efficient than a stockpot on the hob? also guess you need to place it on something heat proof?

Any problems with regular house electrics. assuming its just like running a kettle and don't overload the socket with anything else...

Earlier in the year I bought a klarstein electric kettle to avoid the faff of using the hob and I would say I wouldn't do without it. I use it much as you described - to heat strike water which I then use to mash in a separate mash tun. This is then drained back into the kettle during the sparge and then the kettle handles the boil with no fuss whatsoever. I would certainly recommend it.

Do you know if that would be more efficient than a stockpot on the hob? also guess you need to place it on something heat proof?

Any problems with regular house electrics. assuming its just like running a kettle and don't overload the socket with anything else...
I place my kettle on a piece of insulating foam, more to protect the floor underneath than anything else. A normal socket is fine, it gets a bit hot when on full power but it's never tripped or anything like that.

Earlier in the year I bought a klarstein electric kettle to avoid the faff of using the hob and I would say I wouldn't do without it. I use it much as you described - to heat strike water which I then use to mash in a separate mash tun. This is then drained back into the kettle during the sparge and then the kettle handles the boil with no fuss whatsoever. I would certainly recommend it.

Thanks dude, thats exactly what I was thinking. With your Karstein, does the temperature control work with a dial or a display? or is it just an element with no thermostat? my Ace Boiler dial stopped working so bit skeptical about the design.

I place my kettle on a piece of insulating foam, more to protect the floor underneath than anything else. A normal socket is fine, it gets a bit hot when on full power but it's never tripped or anything like that.

Is that similar to a camping mat? that sounds like a good idea.

FWIW I found the limit of my kitchen-hob brews to be about 15l - clearly it depends on the hob but if you go for a much bigger pot you may end up needing a more powerful hob, e.g a buffalo induction hob or a gas burner.

FWIW I found the limit of my kitchen-hob brews to be about 15l - clearly it depends on the hob but if you go for a much bigger pot you may end up needing a more powerful hob, e.g a buffalo induction hob or a gas burner.

Thanks dude. That was something i was worried about. Could do what i do now and boil 15l of wort and then top up with water but kind of feels if I am buying skmething might as well make it work fully.

Latest posts

Back