Rhubarb in Tripel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takeabiteopeach

Reaction score
So my brother has kindly given me 3kg rhubarb from his allotment and i'm really keen to try this in a Tripel, but i'm v. conscious of the bitterness factor and I want to retain some sweetness to counteract it. I have seen some stuff around using another fruit like mango or strawberry to offset it, but what i'm shooting for is that rhubarb brightness / sharpness, but not have it overpower and be everything the beer is about.

Does anyone have any experience using Rhubarb and what you did to keep the flavour present but not overpowering? I was wondering if I could up the caramel malts in it (i've got some Caramunich I and some Carabelge) to try and counteract, but again I don't want to end up with something sickly sweet.

Use Lactose to counter act the sourness or savour the sourness the choice is yours.
One thing I would say is do not add the Lactose in the keg once carbonated or you will have a serious gusher.
I make a Rhubarb IPA and use lactose to sweeten it a little

Latest posts

Back