Rhubarb wine. Too much sugar, too little fruit... can it be saved?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this and I'm not sure if I've messed this up already. My aim was to make rhubarb wine from rhubarb we have at the allotment. I wanted to split the batch to make some non-sparkling and some sparkling. I was aiming for 5 gallons.

I probably didn't look into this as much as I should have before starting, but did look at various recipes and videos online. Maybe there was a bit of a misunderstanding.

I used 5kg of rhubarb, 6 kg of sugar, handful of raisins and the juice of an orange. I didn't add any water at this stage. The rhubarb had been frozen beforehand.

I left this for 3 days and yesterday evening strained the fruit to get the juice. I got about 5.5 litres of juice from the rhubarb and there was a load of undissolved sugar at the bottom. I added water to this to dissolve it and brought the level up to 10 litres. I left this to cool overnight. At this point it's in a bucket and I haven't done anything else to it.

Reading things online it seems that this was either too much sugar or not enough fruit for the amount I was aiming for. To be honest, I think I've ended up confusing a bit with all this. What should not my next step be and is there any way this can be saved?

Many thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back