Ringwood 49er AG.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
Based on Graham Wheelers recipe.
However double checked the quantities and did not work out for my set up so I had to tweek the amounts. His overall quantity of water was 27.5 for 19L of wort but I calculated I needed 30.5L for 19L of wort.

Ringwood 49er (Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 : 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 : 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7 (EBC): 19.1
Bitterness (IBU): 28.5 (Average)

4KG -93.86% Pale Ale Malt
165G -3.88% Crystal 120
83G -1.95% Torrified Wheat
13G -0.31% Chocolate

26 g Challenger (7.1% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
12 g Golding (5.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10 g Goldings (5.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Ringwood Ale yeast (from brewery)

2016-01-16 18.17.04.jpg

Nice one, I've made that one. Old Thumper is also worth doing, the beer of my youth and the Wheeler version seemed pretty authentic :grin:

Old Thumper is next! As I have got so much yeast from the brewery.
Its one of my favorites but not at 5.2% abv which is what they are selling now a days. I will be following Wheelers recipe aiming for 5.7% abv.

Nice! OT recipe is legit and with the proper yeast I'd imagine it tastes even better. I used S04 and it turned out well.

Got the OT on the go this morning but used up some Maris Otter in with Pale Malt and added Munich for more body. So not so OT but near enough. will post recipe. Later.

Sorry for newbie question, but what does OT stand for? It's not in the glossary section and Google thinks it means Off Topic or Occupational Therapy..!

Sorry for newbie question, but what does OT stand for? It's not in the glossary section and Google thinks it means Off Topic or Occupational Therapy..!

:lol: Old Thumper. Its a beer brewed in Ringwood and the thread is about Ringwood 49er and Old Thumper.

Sorry, I'd had a few Old Thumpers (my own) when I typed the original abbreviation . I'm jealous that you're doing this with the proper Ringwood yeast-I managed to nab some from the Hog's Back brewery, Tongham and it's light years ahead of dried yeasts I've used in the past.

I've just made what I hope is a fairly authentic Boon Doggle with the Rimgwood yeast. I bottled it yesterday, now begins the long six weeks!

I've just made what I hope is a fairly authentic Boon Doggle with the Rimgwood yeast. I bottled it yesterday, now begins the long six weeks!

Bonzer!

Have been taking gravity readings of 49er and Thumper.

49er down to 1006 with no rousing. I've never had a yeast get below 1010!
Thumper stuck at 1018 no rousing. So went in today and cleaned of the top layer and gave it a good rousing. Hopefully that will get it going again.

Funny thing is I treated both brews and yeast the same.:confused:

Got the Boon Doggle recipe??:whistle:

Bonzer!

Have been taking gravity readings of 49er and Thumper.

49er down to 1006 with no rousing. I've never had a yeast get below 1010!
Thumper stuck at 1018 no rousing. So went in today and cleaned of the top layer and gave it a good rousing. Hopefully that will get it going again.

Funny thing is I treated both brews and yeast the same.:confused:

Got the Boon Doggle recipe??:whistle:

Yea, no worries. It's only the first attempt though so I can't say how close it is just yet.

Batch size:23l
Og: 1.041
Fg: 1.008
Abv: 4.3%
Colour: 4.7 srm
Ibu: 34
Brew house efficiency: 81%
Boil time: 70 mins.

3.671kg Maris Otter.

Hops:
30g first gold (7%) @ 60
10g first gold @ 20
20g first gold @ 10
20g fuggles (4.4%) @ 5
20g first gold @ 5
25g first gold @ 80* for 30 mins
13g fuggles @ 80* for 30 mins

Single step infusion @ 67*

1l starter of wlp005 @ 19.5* until finished.
Cold crashed @ 1.5* for five days.
Carbonated to 2.3 volumes (130g)

The fuggles addition might seem a bit odd but it was all I had left!
So I'll see how it turns out and adjust from there.

I purposely overhopped it, as that yeast along with Maris otter can take a while to mellow, so with luck, conditioning time will be in synch with hop flavours fading out.

Oh also, that strain needs regular attention, I sometimes rouse it 3/4 times per brew.

Got this as an alternative recipe to Boon Doggle, no idea where I got it from and not made it yet, just stored it on the hard drive for future use:

Pale Malt 4100 grams 93.8%
Crystal Malt 180 grams 4.1%
Torrified Wheat 90 grams 2.1%
Challenger 7.6 % 30 grams 75 minutes
First Gold 8.3 % 10 grams 10 minutes
First Gold 8.3 % 10 grams 0 minutes

Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.010

WYeast 1187 Ringwood Ale
Final Volume: 23 Litres
Alcohol Content: 4.2% ABV
Bitterness: 29 EBU
Colour: 14 EBC

Oh also, that strain needs regular attention, I sometimes rouse it 3/4 times per brew.

I am using yeast from the Ringwood brewery, but I am interested if you skim off the surplus or do you stir the yeast cake in...

Oh and thanks of the recipe I did hunt your thread down to find it :lol:. Let me know how it turns out and will give it a go. Got a Porter lined up next though.

I am using yeast from the Ringwood brewery, but I am interested if you skim off the surplus or do you stir the yeast cake in...

Oh and thanks of the recipe I did hunt your thread down to find it :lol:. Let me know how it turns out and will give it a go. Got a Porter lined up next though.

Ah righto, they may well be a little different then as mine is from White Labs so it's been across the pond and back!
Anyhow, I just use my paddle to stir the whole lot in, krausen, trub - the lot. Then it kicks off nicely again.

Your welcome for the recipe!
It was adjusted slightly from the one on my original thread due to the suggestions posted.
I'll let you know ;-)

Latest posts

Back