Roast potato beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a great admirer of Brussels sprouts ale. Left to steep on the skins it can take on the colour of a fine ruby port. The fragrance, too, is not be underestimated, a little dab behind the ears before going out on the lash will make pulling the birds a dead cert.

As for parsnip porter. I could write poetry about parsnip porter,

Last edited:
I think raw would be the way to go as the fat in roasties will kill the beer head etc

Am I the only one who likes cold, left over, roast potatoes?

Even if they've been in the fridge and get to the teeth achingly cold point of 'it hurts, why am I eating this?!' madness, they're delicious!

I actually prefer them a couple of days old, just north of freezing, and a little shrivelled.

Nope! 👍
Even if they've been in the fridge and get to the teeth achingly cold point of 'it hurts, why am I eating this?!' madness, they're delicious!
I'm with you brother! 🙌
I actually prefer them a couple of days old, just north of freezing, and a little shrivelled.
..Ok. You're on your own here. Weirdo. 😂

Yeah I am with you. But the crown goes to old jacket potatoes. 2 days to mature in the fridge then nuke. REALLY good. The flavour has changed (along with the starch & the colour)

Im planning on Pav bhaji with the leftovers but love leftover roasties anywhich way.

😳

This is the brewing equivalent of all those embarrassed people ending up in A&E with various household items inserted or attached to their person.

It starts with a random curious thought and then….

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should…but if you do we want to hear all about it 😉

Yeah I am with you. But the crown goes to old jacket potatoes. 2 days to mature in the fridge then nuke. REALLY good. The flavour has changed (along with the starch & the colour)
Nope the crown goes to left over roasties squashed a bit and fried with onion and chorizo and a good dash of Tabasco sauce. Now that’s a Boxing Day hangover cure

Last edited:
We know there will be some left over. Anyone thought of making a beer with them or would they be better used raw?
Boiled first like a cereal mash to break down the starch and added to the mash for the base malt enzyme activity to convert to sugar.

If you were ultra "anal" about not wasting food, things like potato, carrot, parsnip peelings whatever could probably be mashed I reckon for a few extra gravity points, of course they need cooking before the starches become sugars.

If you were ultra "anal" about not wasting food, things like potato, carrot, parsnip peelings whatever could probably be mashed I reckon for a few extra gravity points, of course they need cooking before the starches become sugars.
Are we still about beer on this forum, or have we moved on to biofuel? o_O

1. There shouldn't be any left over.
2. If there is, eat them.
3. See number 1
4. The subject of this thread.... its just wrong.
Yes. It's like asking "what do you do with the beer left in your glass once your thirst is quenched? "
The answer, of course, is neck it down and pour another one. Then ask whether there are any roasties left.

Back