Roast potato beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno so mucho the Russians, Polish and closer to home the Irish have made drink from potatoes.
Yes, you can use parsnips as a botanical in gin.... but not bluddy roasted first.

There's a commonality about all those drinks... they're distilled. If you can find a way of distilling beer, I'd gladly try it, even roast potato flavoured, even though talk of roast potatoes being left over is close to blasphemy.

(admin, can we not start moderating Mashbags posts, he's obviously serious and it's getting worrying. What next, necklaces-pendants made out of left over garden peas, charm bracelets from left over pasta? If we're not careful, he'll turn the forum into some kind of Kirsty Allsopp Left Over Veg Handicrafts site. )

Got some fresh cranberries on clearance. I was going to make a cranberry gin and leave it to mature/infuse,,,,, But in the end I just made a load of spiced chutney.

Added fresh plenty caramelised onion then ginger, garlic, old oranges, plums and cleared out some old jam jars into the mix then cleaned sanitised and refilled. Added Sriracha, cumin, allspice and cinnamon + a dash of vinegar.
Best Xmas idea I have had. Tastes and looks gorgeous clapa :groupdancing:

Best wishes and good brewing to everyone!!!

If you were ultra "anal" about not wasting food, things like potato, carrot, parsnip peelings whatever could probably be mashed I reckon for a few extra gravity points, of course they need cooking before the starches become sugars.
You could do that, but because all the sugar from the peelings would be fully fermentable it would make a very dry beer. I don't know if there is an app that calculates how much sugar would be added. Would make a nice dry stout though.

There are many starch sources which can be used in brewing. Among them are potatoes, yams, tapioca, taro, turnips, beets, millet, milo, oats, buckwheat, beans, etc. A leisurely stroll through the produce section or the rice & beans aisle of your local supermarket will convince you that the list is almost endless. Some really exotic brews can be made this way and the only thing to hold you back is a lack of imagination. Skeptical? Consider what goes into Pumpkin Ale! I've got a recipe for a Prohibition era lager that incorprates de-fatted soybeans.

https://crescentcitybrewtalk.com/brewing-potato-beer/

tumblr_lqo4jf9IU41qcfe3co2_250.gif

Here we go.

23L Smashing Smashed Smash

3.000 kg Maris Otter Extra Pale
2.200 kg roasties (smashed)
50°c 20m 65°c 60m

45m boil
30.0 g UK Cascade Pellet @ 15 Minutes
40.0 g Cascade @ 30 Minutes
50.0 g Cascade @ 85°30m
Overnight chill.

Here we go.

50°c 20m 65°c 60m

45m boil
50.0 g Cascade @ 85°30m
Overnight chill.
As expected, all our spuds vanished on boxing day so very keen to see how this turns out!

Here we go.

50°c 20m 65°c 60m

45m boil
50.0 g Cascade @ 85°30m
Overnight chill.

Very interested to see how this pans out. I'm sure I read somewhere that parsnip beer is a speciality in Ukraine so would imagine this would work similarly, albeit with a quite different flavour profile.

Edit: as Donegal John has pointed out below the Ukrainian beer I was thinking of is made with beetroot.

Last edited:
Potatoes, barley and other things can trace their breeding back to the Plant Breeding Institute, Maris Lane, Trumpington, near Cambridge.

I recall that this was a tasty beer.
img_5477-01.jpeg

Latest posts

Back