Rocks Organic blackcurrant wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christianredhat

Reaction score
Hi there well Ive been wanting to try out the Ribena wine but was put of by the boiling, I noticed that Rocks organic squash doesn't have any preservatives in it, its just juice, water and sugar so I was wondering if anyone has tried this as an option?

Good move not doing the ribena wine most fail because of the preservatives.

I have not used Rocks organic squash but it will be fine, it says dilute 1 part squash to 6 parts water so you will have to guess how much to add, i would try 3/4 of a litre and fill the DJ to the bottom of the neck once vigorous fermentation has finished, in my DJ's that is 4.9 litres.

There are some juice based wine recipes here you might like to try - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

Hi thx for that, I have used about 1.5lt of squash and 500 gram sugar from a solution syrup, i am guessing that'll be about 2llb sugar. Sort of a ribena recipe adaptation.. Fingers crossed

That might end up a little on the strong side, 1.5 litres of juice would need 9 litres of water if you followed the instructions of 1 to 6 ratio.

There is approximately 550g of sugar in the bottle and you have added 500g so it should be close to 13% ABV.

13% sounds fine to me! I generally put in enough sugar for 14 and expect to lose a bit when racking.

How expensive is the Rocks stuff? I did a perry with Meridian pear concentrate once and it worked out about 1.50 a pint! And Meridian is now Rocks, I think.

you may be right it may well be too strong or to sweet! I only used a standard wine yeast I hope it holds out....

Well the the Rocks is £3.90 ish a bottle in the health food shop, but I got it wholesale from Suma for my cafe and paid £1.90+vat.

Ah, I've thought of buying direct from Suma once or twice, do they have a min order or other conditions for wholesale?
Their AJ concentrate makes good cider!

The concentrate is only a 360ml bottle with 62g sugar per 100ml.

http://www.rocksorganic.com/index.asp?s ... ucts&ID=91

Use

Dilute to taste and stir well. We suggest diluting 1 part juice concentrate to 5 parts water to produce over 2 litres of pure juice. Never drink undiluted. May be used concentrated as a natural sweetener in cooking instead of sugar.

Hmm living in Devon im always interested in cider ideas... or maybe its just my preference!
There is a minimum order of £250 for free delivery, unfortunately I canot remember the conditions for an ac. however the BC wine is bubbling like crazy so im feeling confident :cheers:

Back