rotten eggs (cider)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe roberts

Reaction score
Been doing wine a while now and after a few disasters ive got the hang of it.
So inevertabley ive now tried cider from a kit. i fermented it of as per the instructions in a bucket. then transfered it to a barrel. a few days in and it started smelling of rotten eggs. i left it clear and bottled it. although it tastes ok it still stinks.
so the question 1. is can i do anything to get rid of the smell or should i bin it and try agin.
and question 2. where have i gone wrong. :cry:

Let it breathe before you drink it, you probably bottled a bit too soon, the eggy smell is quite normal and will usually pass.

Id go with what moley just said, I have had a couple that stank the house out, left it to breathe and it was fine... I however wasnt after a few of them! Bit on the strong side :drunk:

By letting it breathe i take it you mean take the top of the bottles.

sorry for sounding thick.

I'm not a cider maker so I was rather hoping that someone else might pick up on this, but I've seen previous topics about niffy cider and the advice seems to have been to pour it into the glass then leave it for a couple of minutes.

Other comments would be welcomed, please.

I made up a magnum pear cider kit last month and it smelt quite a bit during the first fermentation. Bottled it up and it had a fairly sythetic taste. I tried a few last night (after just over 3weeks) and the taste is sooo much better and without the chemically taste too!!! And can confirm it was fairly potent too! :drunk:

So just leave it 3-4 weeks and it should be fine. I'm, trying to :grin:, leaving mine in the garage until after our summer hols at the end of this month!!! My only trouble is that I've finished the first bitter I did so I've had to get the next one on, again should be drinkable after the hols!!!

Enjoy,
dave

Some of my TCs have had a bit of a pong. I've just left them to age a bit longer before bottling, and the smell has always passed with time.

ive now left it 2 weeks bottled in plastic cider bottles in the warm shed out side. opened a bottle tonight added half a spoon of sugar and the smalls almost gone .and t's very nice too. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back