Rugby World Cup 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a game . After shaky form at the start, NZ really upped their game since. I think Ireland will rue missed opportunities there but that was some finish we were all jumping up and down my youngest wanted Ireland to win my eldest NZ and tbh I sort of favoured NZ but would have been happy with either.

Hopefully France sa will be equally as good.

Not expecting much fun from England Fiji

Looks like England have learnt from Ireland not banking points. Farrell taking shots at goal with a comfortable lead.
Fiji making errors when they try to do Fiji things...

2 Fiji tries and it's 24 - all with 10 to go...

England take it 30-24. Exciting finish in the end...

Last edited:
France south Africa is so fast paced and energetic. Incredible, the QF have been highly entertaining.

If I were England, id call in sick next week. 😂

Had to go to work but have managed to get game on in the conference room for the second half. Certainly fast paced and entertaining...

Aww gutted for France...

Am I in the weird situation of cheering for England next week now... 😀

Must admit , I did want France to win, again we had a split room with younger one (who wanted Ireland) wanted SA to win.

France look a bit gassed to me in the second half, couldn't make the yellow count and were struggling to get to the rucks and secure the ball.

Looking like a NZ SA final

Agree, definitely a NZ / SA final
After that game against Fiji I'm surprised most of the England team weren't shipped off to the nearest a&e! Never mind able to put up a good fight in the semis.
To watch 2 players stop a sprinting Courtney Laws dead, lift him up and chuck him out of play was nuts. And poor little smith looked like he'd gone 10 rounds with Tyson

Haven't seen such a brutal game in years

Certainly intense games at the quarter stage. Teams can suffer from that the following week so managing players is important.

NZ v Argentina should be a NZ win, no disrespect to Argentina but without Matera (out injured) they might struggle.

And similarly South Africa v England should be a win to SA given their form and experience, but if England can match them in the forwards and strangle the game it could be determined by kicks at goal/drop kicks. England the only unbeaten team so far, and they've been in the final 4 times.

Any knockout game can turn on an injury, intercept try or card though, so who knows...?

Market sentiment has NZ at 90.09% chance to beat ARgentina and SA 81.97% chance against England.. Seems about right to me all things being equal but as you say anything can happen. I dont think we can come close to matching SA upfront, they are our kryptonite and we will probably get mowed over pretty convincingly.

Argentina were very poor against England so, if that team turns up, they will be smashed by NZ who have improved through the tournament. I can't see any way for Argentina to win but a few cards for NZ could change things.

Again, I can't see England beating SA. If (and it's a big if) they can compete with the forwards, it might be a tight, low scoring game decided by a penalty or two. Realistically, if SA from last week turn up, they will steamroller all over England.

It appears that there will be two very one-sided semis but it's a World Cup semifinal and hopefully teams will step up.

Yeah all seems a bit flat after last weekend's games.
Just realised Argentina could potentially hold both the rugby and football world cups (something NZ will never get close to 🙂). Would certainly reignite the cup if they get through...

As a Tigers supporter, we have had a fair few of the Argentina squad playing for us. Matera was with ius about 10 years ago, but wanted to go back home

Lavanini played for a few a seasons back, he was a card magnet I thought. But Montoya is still with us and is a great player and recently departed Moroni.

They do have a higher ceileing in terms of performance but are a bit up and down with it

Comfortable win for the All Blacks to go on to the final. 7 tries to nil, 44 - 6.
Will Jordan scored a hat trick which I'm pleased about as I've bet on him being highest try scorer... 🙂

England ahead at half time. Playing smart rugby (apart from Farrell mouthing off at the ref). If they keep bagging points could be an upset.

Discipline and substitutions will determine the outcome I suspect...

Great result for NZ

Don't think they have too much to worry about in the other semi.

Can't believe we've done so well actually to be ahead 50 mins in. Still expect sa to cut loose last 20 mins.

At least we haven't disgraced ourselves 😂

What a finish to a washed out game. Hendre Pollard wins the game with a 48m kick.
England can't possibly be upset, as the fifth best team in the NH. What a travesty the Groups were.
NZ to be victorious?

No, not upset at all. Thought we did us proud to come back from a difficult year.

Bomb squad did us in the end.

Typical my clubs fly half scores the points to knock us out 😂

Think I want NZ in the final

Latest posts

Back