Rules on free bar social club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This festival has been running since the 1979s like this
Doesn't matter, all that proves is that the local authorities are happy with the way its run, trust the organisers, and are prepared to turn a blind eye to technical breaches of the law.

Which is sort of how the law is meant to operate, although it does put a lot of responsibility on the individuals in authority to behave sensibly.

Most of the time they do, and East Anglia seems somewhat more relaxed about these things in general than some other parts of the country, but it only takes one jobsworth to ruin things.

If you brewed something below 1.2%, exempted from duty, where does that leave you regarding AWRS?

A decent low abv beer, would possibly be an interesting talking point at such an event. It'd certainly dispel any preconceptions of 'homebrew? you make rocket fuel'.

Last edited:
Since AWRS is essentially geared around excise duty, you only need to sign up if you're selling drink that's liable for duty. So under 1.2% you should be fine (IANAL).
I think that even though it's under duty strength it is still beer and so the brewer should be registered as a producer of beer?

I think that even though it's under duty strength it is still beer and so the brewer should be registered as a producer of beer?
But the AWRS scheme doesn't care about that, it only cares about whether you're wholesaling alcohol, and for the purposes of AWRS, alcohol is defined as "any drink subject to excise duty, less a few exceptions" - and that means 1.2% is the cutoff.

Of course that doesn't exempt you from other regulations, like environmental health and food safety.

The problem is that rule that broadly says you can't drink homebrew outside your home. Although it's is widely ignored it also depends on the arbitrary decision of the local licensing authorities and plod. But something like a homebrew competition is generally tolerated as the beer is not being "sold", whereas anything that looks like wholesaling bulk beer for resale will attract more attention.

Another aspect is that since 2017, anyone selling alcohol for resale can only buy from companies registered with the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS)on pain of fines or up to 7 years inside. Realistically that wouldn't happen, but a responsible festival organiser would say that it's not worth the risk to their good name with the local authorities.
I don't think that is actually correct, the HMRC guidance expressly gives the example if a publican nipping out to Tesco. The act obliges you, if buying from a UK based Wholesaler, to make sure they are registered. It doesn't stop you buying from a retailer (although if it turns out they are an unregistered Wholesaler both are committing an offence) But picking up a couple of trays of Carling and a bottle of Gordon's is fine.

I don't think that is actually correct, the HMRC guidance expressly gives the example if a publican nipping out to Tesco. The act obliges you, if buying from a UK based Wholesaler, to make sure they are registered. It doesn't stop you buying from a retailer (although if it turns out they are an unregistered Wholesaler both are committing an offence) But picking up a couple of trays of Carling and a bottle of Gordon's is fine.
@Northern_Brewer is absolutely correct throughout this thread. AWRS is a serious piece of legislation that not many individuals or businesses are aware of. Just be careful with running any sort of event and make sure you do things properly is my advice 👍

Except that it is not the law that you have to buy from a wholsaler, you can buy from a retailer, and they don't need to be registered unless they are deliberately selling wholesale as well as retail. You can of course buy from outwith the UK and suppliers there don't need to be registered under AWRS either.

I dont think it matters where you drink it but the law says its for your own consumption.
(i wasn't aware you can legally give it to family and friends in your own home)

Is it legal to sell homebrew in the UK?

In the United Kingdom, you are not permitted to sell your homebrewed beer and wine.

Now let’s make it really clear what ‘selling’ means. You might assume that selling your homebrew means you are giving it to someone in exchange for money. But this isn’t strictly true.

UK laws state that you mustn’t even give away any homebrew if it will be drunk on premises other than your own. If you pop a few homemade bottles of wine into your friend’s bag for them to try at home, you are in theory breaking the law. That being said, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll get prosecuted for such a minor offence; in fact, it would likely go unnoticed.

However, if you do plan to do more than simply offer a drink to a friend as a Christmas gift, then you will need to get a license from the HMRC. This is made up of two components; a personal license as well as a license for the premises from which the drinks will be sold.

https://homebrewjournals.com/home-brewing-laws-uk/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back