S-04 yeast attenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, as the op... I have just bottled 74 pints today. 40 Fullers ESB clone with an og of 1045 and an fg of 1018, so 3.5% and a bit disappointing (23L), and 36 of Wadworths JCB clone with an og of 1052 and an fg of 1012, so 5.3% for 20L.
Both used the S-04 and were in primary for nearly five weeks in an attempt to get them down further....
Both were done as BIAB with close attention to mash temps, aeration and fermenting temps. So, either my efficiency is not as it should be, tho goodness knows how I can improve it ! Or the S-04 is to blame....
I should add that I added an extra 500g of MO to the kits in an effort to boost the og.

Today I ordered 5 packs of Mangrove Jacks , 2xMO7 and 3xM79 to try with my recent order of English ale and bitter kits from Worcester hop shop.

I'll let you know....

So, as the op... I have just bottled 74 pints today. 40 Fullers ESB clone with an og of 1045 and an fg of 1018, so 3.5% and a bit disappointing (23L), and 36 of Wadworths JCB clone with an og of 1052 and an fg of 1012, so 5.3% for 20L.
Both used the S-04 and were in primary for nearly five weeks in an attempt to get them down further....
Both were done as BIAB with close attention to mash temps, aeration and fermenting temps. So, either my efficiency is not as it should be, tho goodness knows how I can improve it ! Or the S-04 is to blame....
I should add that I added an extra 500g of MO to the kits in an effort to boost the og.

Today I ordered 5 packs of Mangrove Jacks , 2xMO7 and 3xM79 to try with my recent order of English ale and bitter kits from Worcester hop shop.

I'll let you know....

That's very odd. You've done everything you should do (aeration, mash temps,fermentation temps) and still the ESB stuck :confused: Were you expecting the JCB to get a lower FG, as the numbers you've given give a attenuation of 76% which is 1% higher than what I usually expect from S04?
I put S04 in a mild a couple of weeks ago and took a reading yesterday as it seems to have finished fermenting and was also 76%.
75% is what I normally expect from S04 (and appart from its fantastic flocctuation) is why I use it

Latest posts

Back