S30 Refill Adapter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midsomerjambo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a Cornelius keg which came with a CO2 regulator and all the other bits and bobs except a CO2 gas bottle. So I sourced a 6kg bottle for a very reasonable price and the whole rig has just been instrumental in the production of my best ever lager (well, a healthy dose of patience too but I guess the more gear you have the less patience you need so I'm thinking of getting another Corny.)

Anyway, my question is, given I have a bulk CO2 bottle and a regulator, does anyone know of an adapter available anywhere that would allow me to recharge my S30 bottle that I use for my King Keg? Having obtained the 6kg bottle, I'm a bit loathe to carry on shelling out £8 or so each time I need a new S30 but I want to carry on using the King Keg.

Regards, MSJ

No idea but soda steam bottles are well supported, I refill mine.
That’s interesting @LeeH, we just got a soda stream machine for xmas. I have a 6kg co2 bottle, how do I fill them up with that? I think sodastream refills are £12 otherwise.

QWORK CO2 Refill Adapter Kit, Gas Refill CO2 Refill Adapter Connector Kit for W21.8-14 Valve of CO2 Tank QWORK CO2 Refill Adapter Kit, Gas Refill CO2 Refill Adapter Connector Kit for W21.8-14 Valve of CO2 Tank : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Your bottles need to be frozen, and your doner cylinder may need inverting if no dip tube. My supply varies so you won’t know until you try.

A set of scales is handy too. I think it’s 400g or so of liquid you are aiming for but it will stop when the pressure are equal. It’s just nice to know it’s full.

Quid a refill, nice.

I would recommend a face shield just in case, I just use a my welding mask and a pair of turtle doves.

QWORK CO2 Refill Adapter Kit, Gas Refill CO2 Refill Adapter Connector Kit for W21.8-14 Valve of CO2 Tank QWORK CO2 Refill Adapter Kit, Gas Refill CO2 Refill Adapter Connector Kit for W21.8-14 Valve of CO2 Tank : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Your bottles need to be frozen, and your doner cylinder may need inverting if no dip tube. My supply varies so you won’t know until you try.

A set of scales is handy too. I think it’s 400g or so of liquid you are aiming for but it will stop when the pressure are equal. It’s just nice to know it’s full.

Quid a refill, nice.
Any idea how to tell if the bulk bottle has a dip tube? It's a 6.35kg item obtained from Adams Gas.

No, it will be obvious when you fill. If the pressure equalises and it only weighs a little more than empty, it’s full of gas and not liquid. In this instance you need to invert your bottle.

Any idea how to tell if the bulk bottle has a dip tube? It's a 6.35kg item obtained from Adams Gas.
If you shake the 6kg bottle often can hear the dip tube.
Should have mark on the top of bottle to indicate dip tube.
Also tends to be fire extinguisher cylinder that has a dip tube, sometimes these are red. But the dip tube can be removed by suppliers so it's not a reliable decider
S30 adapter not same thread as sodastream.
Can get adapter to fit on sodastream bottle to fit the input on the king keg.
You could just put another hole in the king keg lid and fit a gas ball lock post. Very handy as you can also check pressure with this if you have a gauge.

Hi all,

I recently bought a Cornelius keg which came with a CO2 regulator and all the other bits and bobs except a CO2 gas bottle. So I sourced a 6kg bottle for a very reasonable price and the whole rig has just been instrumental in the production of my best ever lager (well, a healthy dose of patience too but I guess the more gear you have the less patience you need so I'm thinking of getting another Corny.)

Anyway, my question is, given I have a bulk CO2 bottle and a regulator, does anyone know of an adapter available anywhere that would allow me to recharge my S30 bottle that I use for my King Keg? Having obtained the 6kg bottle, I'm a bit loathe to carry on shelling out £8 or so each time I need a new S30 but I want to carry on using the King Keg.

Regards, MSJ
Do you really need to refill the S30 bottles? It looks as though you can buy an adaptor that fits straight onto the king keg so you can connect it straight up to the bulk CO2 bottle regulator.

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/s30-hambleton-bard-connector-p556.html
Has anyone tried one of these?

Paintball in my youth. Done more than a few refills.

Pub gas doesn't generally have dip tube. There is no need. Simply invert.
If you swing a bottle you can hear a pendular klonk

If you are doing multiple refills make sure you have a lever valve at the filling end. Else you will waste a lot of gas.

S30, sodastream and paintball kit are all the same.

Freeze the bottle to be filled. Fill by weight. First fill, will make ½. Refreeze. Retry. Fill by weight.

If the bottles have burst disc, be aware of which way they vent. Coke can will replace.

THE piece of safety equipment is gauntlet gloves (+ eyes & ears). I use some welding leather ones. Co2 burns when it escapes as does lpg.
I also fill propane.

Work at arms length. Work outside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back