Sani Clean PH Quandary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob downe

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been thinking about using some Sani Clean or Star San and have been told that your water needs to be PH 3 or lower!

I've heard that Water Authorities keep PH to around 6.5-7.5 to avoid pipes rotting.

I've checked and my water is PH 6.5.

Can I use Sani Clean? :hmm:

And whilst on the subject, for normal Cornie cleaning which is best to use Sani Clean or Star San?

Sani Clean is much cheaper.

Thanks,

i now use oxy laundry cleaner to clean my cornys and videne to sanitise. it seems to be the cheapest solution that has no detrimental effect on SS and i have not had a contaminated keg yet, the oxy is good as if you add it to warm water in the keg, and are quick, a couple of scoops will create enough gas to seal the keg a lot of the time allowing you to clean the posts thru without any co2.

i have read that some people use bottled water to create starsan solutions in very alkaline water areas, but bottled water isnt ph3..

can you add citric acid or something to rise the ph or would that have a negative impact on the cleaning solution?

Apparently you can add acid to the water. I wonder if lemon juice would do it?

Lemony fresh :D

I use Oxy too. I have always used dilute bleach to good effect but after hearing horror stories about Stainless steel and bleach my Cornies wont be seeing any of it.

I was going to try Videne but scare stories on these forums about health issues worried me.

I have bought some Star San and some PH strips. If my water raisies the PH too far, I will have to get some distilled water. :roll:

Well,

I bought some Star San and some PH papers.

It turns out that my tap water is actually PH8!! The website for my local water supplier said PH6.5 :oops:

I decided to use Ashbek water from Tesco with a PH of 4 (ish) and the resultant Star San solution has a PH 2-3.

Interestingly, the Vinegar in my cupboard has a PH of 4 so this Star San stuff must really be nasty to those microbes. :thumb:

Back