Screwtop wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had any problem using screw tops, but then the wine that's been in them has never had too much time to mature, so saying the white that I bottled at Christmas is still fine. I might be wary about using them for something I wanted to mature for a long time.

I use them for most of my wines. The threads on the caps can wear out after a couple of uses so you may want to save up replacement lids, though they don't always fit all bottles. Wine bottles that had corks in them can usually be capped with a crown capper, and I've started bottling wine in pint bottles with caps for when I just want a glass myself, without opening a whole bottle.

As Brewtrog said, if you're planning to store the wine for more than a year then the screw top bottles might not be so reliable. But then I've got meads in screw top bottles I've been planning to age for a year or two, so we'll see. I've dipped the tops in wax in an attempt to prevent oxidation, but I don't know if it'll make any difference.

Yep! Although I have a few corked bottles for keeping one bottle from each batch for long term storage. I then hide the corkscrew!! :rofl:

I only use screw caps with plastic, rather than foil seals. Screw caps do not hold pressure. The bottles last indefinitely. When full they usually hold 80 cl. of liquid. It is inadvisable to use corks with them as they are not strong enough. I always remove the 'stub' from the neck. Shrink wrap capsules can be used to improve the seal.

Fantastic! Just as I thought. Thanks chaps.

I notice Wilkos has plastic topped corks-anyone used them?

I've used them although I'd be a bit cautious about laying the bottle on its side. They are useful for sealing a part drunk bottle you've taken a cork out of. I have had some success using plastic corks to replace screw caps, but it depends on the individual bottle, they all seem to be different sizes.

Geoff

So. Let me get this straight. Can I cork a bottle with a screw threaded neck?

I use the tooth tightening technique for screw tops - tighten it that little bit more with your teeth (or pliars if you have none) and it'll feel nice and secure :cheers:

Belt & Braces. I cork them (no problems with the thin neck yet...) then put the screw lid back on as I've read that the slightly wider neck might not hold the cork totally securely then, mainly because it looks pretty, I shrink cap them. Possibly a little over the top but should hopefully make them completely airtight :D

jansman said:
Some screw caps are a bit bigger than a cork is designed for, so you have to use discretion, but many screw cap bottles you can cork fine.

jansman said:
You need to be very careful. The necks are slightly wider, but more importantly the glass is slightly thinner, so you can break the bottle neck as you insert the cork. Some people do it. I don't.

Plastic topped corks are traditional for sherry, port etc and spirits, which have good keeping qualities once opened, unlike wine, and the bottle is stored upright. Screw caps were introduced because the world was running out of natural cork. They proved a superior alternative in terms of hygene and ease of opening. The logical successor, the wine box, has been less succesful, but for those who make wine in bulk (5 gallons) the polypin is brilliant and gives you wine on tap and can be re-used indefinitely, with careful handling, although the cardboard cases are the weak design aspect.

tonyhibbett said:
Plastic topped corks are traditional for sherry, port etc and spirits, which have good keeping qualities once opened, unlike wine, and the bottle is stored upright. Screw caps were introduced because the world was running out of natural cork. They proved a superior alternative in terms of hygene and ease of opening. The logical successor, the wine box, has been less succesful, but for those who make wine in bulk (5 gallons) the polypin is brilliant and gives you wine on tap and can be re-used indefinitely, with careful handling, although the cardboard cases are the weak design aspect.
They were my thoughts about screwtops. Thankyou(all).

Interesting thread. I have been asking family to save all the wine bottles they get (productive bunch they are, too!)
a good deal of these bottles were the screw type and I'd been binning the tops as part of the cleaning process, thinking I'd cork them all.

I put one of my value meads into bottles a couple of days ago and I noticed today, a large sticky patch on the kitchen floor and a stray cork! The mead was not a fizzy mead so I can't imaging how little pressure caused the cork to come out. I've checked the others that I've used corks to close but none of the others seem to be suffering from this. Definitely a big difference in neck size and, as previously mentioned, the glass is not as thick around the next although I've not had any breakages... yet...

Additional: I have noticed what appears to be some air leakage past the corks in screwtop bottles. I am going to monitor closely but it does not bode well! :nah:

Latest posts

Back